Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed headers, possible leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed headers, possible leak?

I installed a set of kook's headers with a catted y pipe, everything fit together great. So far it doesn't seem like the y pipe bangs anywhere. However, I think I may have a leak somewhere. At idle you can't really hear anything, although there is more noise coming from the engine, but that is to be expected when you install headers correct? When I accelerate normal you cannot really hear it either, however, when you accelerate hard at around 3k and up you start to hear a chattering/ticking sound. It kind of sounds like the injectors, but I am not sure. I did not install the air restrictor plates, but I will try that next. Could it be the air system? Also, I thought about running block off plates temporairly on the air system to see if that gets rid of the sound or would I still get the sound because the air system is still running. I used new stock gaskets, but reused the bolts and torqued everything down correctly. Any advice?
Old 06-12-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check for leaks but I'm thinking it might just be "header tick". Depending on the thickness of the tubes you might be getting a ticking sound from the headers from the exhaust gases pulsing through there. It might very well be a leak but if it is a very light tick and only happens under a load it could be header tick. Triple check everything and if you can't find anything I would just let it go. On my S10 it did it when I first put headers on the V6 and I chased the same thing for about a week. I left it alone and it went away about a month later after a good layer of carbon got built up in there. Just an idea.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kossuth
I would check for leaks but I'm thinking it might just be "header tick". Depending on the thickness of the tubes you might be getting a ticking sound from the headers from the exhaust gases pulsing through there. It might very well be a leak but if it is a very light tick and only happens under a load it could be header tick. Triple check everything and if you can't find anything I would just let it go. On my S10 it did it when I first put headers on the V6 and I chased the same thing for about a week. I left it alone and it went away about a month later after a good layer of carbon got built up in there. Just an idea.

I checked all the bolts and they are tight, I torqued them all down correctly when I installed them, checked them again yesterday and they are all tight. I am going to re tighten all the clamps under the car and see if that helps any.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

I detected a my leak.
One of the best ways and this was the way I found mine is to have someone start the car when cold (only) and look at the area (to start) collector and cat connection.The condensation will seap out and you will be able to see the water drip or move out from the leak.At the same time have them rev the engine a little,this will also force the water out of any leak.This has to be done quickly because the header will warm up quickly and water will evaporate fast.
You will only be able to do this test only in the morning and one side at a time.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Since you have not done the air restrictor mod, it could be your checks valves fluterring. If it still ticks after you do the restrictor mod and you've eliminated any leaks, its normal header tick that you have live with. My long tubes do the same thing. Also, make sure none of your spark plugs/wires are loose.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

I will do the air restrictor mod and see if that helps. When you hear the fluttering, do they do it all the time? I drove the car more yesterday and I cannot hear it all the time which is leading me to believe more and more that it is not a leak and just some increased valve train noise. Because if it was a leak wouldn't I be able to hear it all the time?
Old 06-14-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JPWS6
I will do the air restrictor mod and see if that helps. When you hear the fluttering, do they do it all the time? I drove the car more yesterday and I cannot hear it all the time which is leading me to believe more and more that it is not a leak and just some increased valve train noise. Because if it was a leak wouldn't I be able to hear it all the time?
If it's a leak im pretty sure you could hear/feel it all the time. Do the restrictor mod ASAP so you don't burn out your check valves, if you already haven't burnt them out.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your K member, the driver side header may be knocking against it when under a load. Look at the header and see if there are some scratches on it where the pipes passes the K member. If so use a sawzall to notch it.