Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker blackheart duals, LTs and Tunnel mount torque arm. Pics inside!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 11:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Hooker blackheart duals, LTs and Tunnel mount torque arm. Pics inside!!!!

Hey guy just wanted to give my review on the hooker true duals. I bought the it from a guy who modified it to fit onto ARH headers. From what I can tell he had to cut the driver side pipe that goes to the x pipe just a tad where it slips in to the x pipe part. He used Merge reducers cones 3 inch to 2.5 inch to connect the long tubes to the system. For my long tubes the Merge reducer cones were a little bit too long on the driver side so I had to cut it about an inch so the Exhaust could line up right with the pipe that connects to the X pipe part. The passenger side part that connects from the long tubes to the x- pipe part fit good. When I bought it I was worried it wasn't going to clear my tunnel mount torque arm. On the Blackheart thread they talk about it clearing a stock tunnel brace and no where did I find it clearing a tunnel mount torque arm or I couldn't get a straight answer. So I'm glad to say that it cleared not a lot but just enough.

As for the sound it's a night and day difference. I came from a SLP loudmouth and pacesetter Y pipe. I have a built motor heads and cam etc. It doesn't sound like 1000 firecrackers are going off anymore. It's more of a deeper tone now. My LSA is 109. The car runs so much smoother than before,it actually feels like it picks up better too. So I'd recommend the system if you don't mind putting in some elbow grease to make it work. If you guys got any questions feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails Hooker blackheart duals, LTs and Tunnel mount torque arm. Pics inside!!!!-20160204_190918.jpg   Hooker blackheart duals, LTs and Tunnel mount torque arm. Pics inside!!!!-20160206_100451.jpg   Hooker blackheart duals, LTs and Tunnel mount torque arm. Pics inside!!!!-20160206_100527.jpg   Hooker blackheart duals, LTs and Tunnel mount torque arm. Pics inside!!!!-20160206_100402.jpg   Hooker blackheart duals, LTs and Tunnel mount torque arm. Pics inside!!!!-20160206_100427.jpg  

Hooker blackheart duals, LTs and Tunnel mount torque arm. Pics inside!!!!-20160206_100303.jpg   Hooker blackheart duals, LTs and Tunnel mount torque arm. Pics inside!!!!-20160206_100250.jpg  

Last edited by soloman369; 02-08-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks for taking time to post your results and observations in using the Hooker Blackheart dual exhaust in your application. I'm sure many 4th-gen members here will find the information useful if they have been thinking about doing something similar on their car. The system has proven itself to have a broader range of compatibility than could have imagined during development and that will be a useful characteristic for many users.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review.

I heard it for the first time in person, mounted on a stock LS1 with longtubes cut to fit the exhaust.

It sounded awesome. Not loud, but not quiet. Perfect volume for a performance v8 exhaust and had lots of tone.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting. You mentioned the PO had modified this to fit ARH headers...what headers did you mate them up to?

I am heavily considering these TD's - the price point is just a bit of a pinch for me right now. To save cost, I was considering going with some cheaper LT's - like the Speed Engineering LTs and this in "catback" version. Speed LT's are $250 vs the Blackheart mid-lengths at $620. If it seems fairly straightforward (especially if everything lines up and I can just cut some cone reducers to bridge between the two - I believe the catback version comes WITH the cone reducers anyway), it's something I'd have to consider.

Ground clearance was a large concern of mine, but from the images you posted, it looks to be pretty darn good - tough to tell, but it doesn't seem like a lot was sacrificed over the Blackheart mid-lengths.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Atrus_SS
Thanks for posting. You mentioned the PO had modified this to fit ARH headers...what headers did you mate them up to?

I am heavily considering these TD's - the price point is just a bit of a pinch for me right now. To save cost, I was considering going with some cheaper LT's - like the Speed Engineering LTs and this in "catback" version. Speed LT's are $250 vs the Blackheart mid-lengths at $620. If it seems fairly straightforward (especially if everything lines up and I can just cut some cone reducers to bridge between the two - I believe the catback version comes WITH the cone reducers anyway), it's something I'd have to consider.

Ground clearance was a large concern of mine, but from the images you posted, it looks to be pretty darn good - tough to tell, but it doesn't seem like a lot was sacrificed over the Blackheart mid-lengths.

They were matted to Pacesetter headers. Plenty of ground clearance ill get some more pictures later on today or tomarrow. I have pro kit and bilsteins all round and the lowest part on mine is the tunnel mount .If you do decide to get the system i would recommend starting from the back to the front so you know how much to cut off the cones reducers .
Old 02-08-2016, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

If you want to show others here a comparison of the front-end ground clearance difference between your system and the combined Hooker Blackheart exhaust and headers, here's a couple of side angle photos of the Blackheart set-up.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You know what this thread proves? That there is no reason this system should have NOT been made to fit with longtubes. Not a legitimate one anyway. My .02
Old 02-08-2016, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Full-Force
You know what this thread proves? That there is no reason this system should have NOT been made to fit with longtubes. Not a legitimate one anyway. My .02
That's funny, it seems the OP's intention is to show that the system does work with certain long tubes according to his photos. For those that want such a set-up, it doesn't seem like there's much in the way of making it happen.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This threas is worthless without vids lol
Old 02-08-2016, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There absolutely is a reason. Hooker designed the Blackheart line to satisfy certain criteria. This is across the whole line, not just the Fbody offerings. From the reviews I have read and the pics I have seen, the system is top notch in terms of material and build quality as well as fitment.

They COULD have it fit some popular LT headers or especially their own LT's, but then they are undermining the whole point of their system. I can appreciate them keeping the integrity of the system and not diluting the brand for the sake of more sales.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:53 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by xdanny510x
This threas is worthless without vids lol
I can do that. I'll try and get some up manna .
Old 02-09-2016, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

There absolutely is a reason. Hooker designed the Blackheart line to satisfy certain criteria. This is across the whole line, not just the Fbody offerings. From the reviews I have read and the pics I have seen, the system is top notch in terms of material and build quality as well as fitment.

They COULD have it fit some popular LT headers or especially their own LT's, but then they are undermining the whole point of their system. I can appreciate them keeping the integrity of the system and not diluting the brand for the sake of more sales.
What point are they undermining?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:36 PM
9 Second Club

Video as promised
Attached Thumbnails Hooker blackheart duals, LTs and Tunnel mount torque arm. Pics inside!!!!-20160209_141655.jpg   Hooker blackheart duals, LTs and Tunnel mount torque arm. Pics inside!!!!-20160209_141706.jpg   Hooker blackheart duals, LTs and Tunnel mount torque arm. Pics inside!!!!-20160209_141818_hdr.jpg  
Old 02-09-2016, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i mimicked this exhaust. i did exhaust what hooker did, expect i had pypes M80s at the end. mine isnt cammed but it has no metallic sound at idle. sounds totally different!
Old 02-09-2016, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics and video, soloman369....looks really good. It does look like the full Blackheart system would provide a rather decent improvement in ground clearance - it's one of my major concerns with going aftermarket exhaust as I am lowered in MI (horrific roads).
Old 02-09-2016, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What point are they undermining?
"Hooker BlackHeart exhaust components are constructed of lightweight 18-gauge 304 or 409 stainless steel to maximize strength and durability. BlackHeart exhaust components feature quality welds throughout for strength, longevity, and good looks. Cat-back and axle-back exhausts are available with either a straight-through muffler or no muffler design that exits into a variety of dual wall polished stainless steel tips laser-etched with the Hooker logo. Tube geometry is optimized for maximum clearance and retains the use of factory mounting points for a hassle-free installation. These exhausts are also engineered to use the factory exhaust tips for a stealthy look."

This is what they have promised from the get-go. Toddoky has stated several times in the other thread that even their own LTs didn't meet the benchmark they set for the Blackheart line.

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/hol...swap_products/
Old 02-10-2016, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

"Hooker BlackHeart exhaust components are constructed of lightweight 18-gauge 304 or 409 stainless steel to maximize strength and durability. BlackHeart exhaust components feature quality welds throughout for strength, longevity, and good looks. Cat-back and axle-back exhausts are available with either a straight-through muffler or no muffler design that exits into a variety of dual wall polished stainless steel tips laser-etched with the Hooker logo. Tube geometry is optimized for maximum clearance and retains the use of factory mounting points for a hassle-free installation. These exhausts are also engineered to use the factory exhaust tips for a stealthy look."

This is what they have promised from the get-go. Toddoky has stated several times in the other thread that even their own LTs didn't meet the benchmark they set for the Blackheart line.

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/hol...swap_products/
gimme a f#%$ing break dude .... marketing bs
Old 02-10-2016, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Call it what you want, I am fine with it. They have stayed true to what they claimed they wanted to accomplish from the get go.

At the end of the day, it seems to be ridiculously easy to adapt the catback to LT headers from a few manufacturers, so I don't really see where there's an issue?

By the way - look at the full Blackheart clearance pics versus the OP's....while the OP's is still a nicely fit exhaust IMO, the Blackheart certainly seems to tuck a whole lot tighter. I think there's validity in their explanation.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

gimme a f#%$ing break dude .... marketing bs
Hardly marketing BS as there is no set of long tubes and/or exhaust system on the market that deliver better spark plug wire, frame, component or ground clearance than the Blackheart set-up. It may not what your interested in, but the design objective was clearly acheived and was executed for those with different priorities than your own. That's not to say that we won't revisit the application in the future to bring out a set of compatible long-tubes as we are always adding new products to the development schedule and keep our ears open to what customers are asking for.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You stealy stealy my exhaust! And yes, I jelly! I think I will end up buying a set of these new and adapting them to my ARH's. I would love to get by League City and hear those bad boys under a load at WOT. Thanks for posting up about them.

Quick Reply: Hooker blackheart duals, LTs and Tunnel mount torque arm. Pics inside!!!!