Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a magnaflow muffler be swapped

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can a magnaflow muffler be swapped

I currently have a magnaflow catback system on my car. I recently had a set of pp head and 231/237 cam installed. Gained 50 hp and lost 15 ft lbs of torque. ???? Cannot figure this out. Anyways, back on topic, today, I put the racepipes on and removed the cats. Going to have the car redyno'd tomorrow. Didn't like the sound of the magnaflow without the cats. It sounds tinny. Listened to ls1sounds.com and they had a hooker areoflow muffler on a set of headers without cats. Sounded deep, nice. Question is, can I swap the magnaflow muffler with the hooker muffler? So far I've had 3 catback systems on my car, and everything always seems to be the same from the over the axel pipe forward. This difference is the muffler pretty much from what I've seen. Can I swap the magnaflow muffler for the hooker?
Old 06-13-2004, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from flowmaster to magnaflow with no cats and LTs.The flowmaster was terribly raspy and tin can sounding.The magnaflow to me sounds better in normal driving and awesome at WOT but needs hopefully a 18" bullet to calm the rasp at 2500.I'll know this week.I think some rasp will be in any catback with no cats.I have heard hooker is the quietest catback but I think it will take some adapting because pics I have seen show a 3 bolt flange inlet.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, I'd put a bullet in the intermidiate pipe before I swapped mufflers.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

pm me if you decide to sell the magnaflow muffler....