Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering Headers paired with catted Y-Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Speed Engineering Headers paired with catted Y-Pipe?

Hey guys, I tried to do some quick searching and came up empty. Here's my scenario. My car is mostly stock except for free mods, LS6 intake/injectors, MTI lid and GMMG catback. I've read (and heard) that headers and an ORY with a GMMG creates a terrible drone and is real raspy. For people who want a classy sound, and drone/rasp reduced. I've read that a catted Y-pipe is recommended.

Well, I love my GMMG and I refuse to have my car sounding like a dump truck. My question is that I'm heavily considering Speed Engineering headers, specifically the 1 7/8" and I'd like to run a catted Y-Pipe. Has anyone successfully paired up a catted Y-Pipe to their headers? If you have, what brand was it? Has anyone just built their own catted Y-Pipe? If so, what cat/cats did you use?

I realize that its uncommon for people to run cats on a car with headers unless they are trying to pass emissions. I live in Kansas so I don't have to worry about emissions, but I am worried about rasp and drone and would like to have a catted Y-pipe to help eliminate some of that. I realize that this will not COMPLETELY eliminate those two items but I'm not shooting for that. I would just like something to break up the exhaust before it exits.

If this topic has been brought up before, please shoot me after providing a link. I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Old 02-23-2016, 10:11 AM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

We haven't personally tried the combination to verify, however we have heard from several customers that the TSP catted Y-Pipe will work with our headers.

Thanks
Sean
Old 02-23-2016, 03:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have true duals so I can't comment on the Y-pipe question, but my setup is catted.

It has zero drone with Moroso spiral flow bullets.

If you can, go with cats. It really refines the sound and eliminates drone/rasp.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GMMG is awesome sounding. I've heard it on H/C/I ORY setups and that thing rips your ears off. I would try throwing a bullet muffler in the i pipe or something (like magnaflow or dynomax) to really cut down on the rasp.

Keep the cats off you'll end up taking them off later anyway as you mod the car. Like I said though GMMG is a great setup, don't let it stop you from opening that system up

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering Headers paired with catted Y-Pipe?