Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant sensor help

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant sensor help

Hi I'm swapping a a 5.3. I put ls6 top end on it with heads and intake. I ran I to a little issue I would like to ask a question about. Bough the heads used. Seems like one of the threads was tapped to 1/2 npt (just guessing but looks that size). I didn't notice this when installing that head is on drivers side. So the coolant sensor for ecu is to small does not thread in tight. I can move it to the pass. Side head. Would this cause any problems of any kind having the sensor in the back of the passenger side head?
Old 03-13-2016, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Not a good idea. Water flows through the block and cools the cylinder. Then flows up into the heads, then forward to the radiator. The coolant at the back of the head is considerably cooler than in the front.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by .boB
Not a good idea. Water flows through the block and cools the cylinder. Then flows up into the heads, then forward to the radiator. The coolant at the back of the head is considerably cooler than in the front.
I keep getting different answers on my research, alot of people claim that back passenger head runs hotter then driver side. I can't see them being to different to effect ecu behavier. It is in a swap so half the motor isn't crammed in a engine bay like a f body.

I read a couple threads last night where people switch sensor to back passenger head for ease of rework and cleaner harness ect.. so I think ima try it out if it is causing an issue then I would hope there some kind of adapter that I can use to put it in the driver head that has been tapped. I would really hate to have to switch heads around.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

The rear of the head is always going to be cooler than the front. If the ECU reads that as a operating temp, it will think it still needs to be in cold enrichment mode.

You could reprogram the ECU to identify this cooler temp as standard operating, that's not a big deal at all.

But you'll want your gauge port to be at the front of the engine, so you can monitor the hottest temps.

Quick Reply: Coolant sensor help