Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 6spd SS, lq9 swap, need tips and advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 6spd SS, lq9 swap, need tips and advice please

Im looking to install a lq9 in my 6spd 02 SS and need all the tips and advice I can get.
Is there a particular year engine I should get?
Im 97% sure the stock ls1 heads will bolt on, am I right?
Most importantly do I need the wire harness and computer??

I was about to buy a engine from the scrap yard but ive come across some better deals elsewhere, is there anything I should look for with people trying to get over??
Old 03-19-2016, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything will swap over. The only real thing you would need to do is drill and tap a whole for the alternator on the LQ9 block. No you don't need the harness or computer, use your current one. You will need a tune though. What exactly are your goals? Is your current motor bad?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can help you out since I did the exact same swap. If you have any specific questions during the swap just shoot me a message.
Pretty much everything will swap over, except for the alternator. The LQ9 only has one of the alternator bolt holes you need, the second might need to be tapped.

Is this an LQ9 long block? If so you want to keep the 317 heads, they flow better then the 241's and have a stock compression ratio of something around 10.4:1 on your LQ9.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by IRONFIST
I can help you out since I did the exact same swap. If you have any specific questions during the swap just shoot me a message.
Pretty much everything will swap over, except for the alternator. The LQ9 only has one of the alternator bolt holes you need, the second might need to be tapped.

Is this an LQ9 long block? If so you want to keep the 317 heads, they flow better then the 241's and have a stock compression ratio of something around 10.4:1 on your LQ9.

Pretty much any year LQ9 will work they all had the stronger floating pin rods . They will have 317 or possibly 035 heads which are a bit rare. These yield a cr of 10:1 . You do have the option to go LS3 top end since you have a 4" bore !

Quick Reply: 02 6spd SS, lq9 swap, need tips and advice please