Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DS header hitting k member when turning or car sits uneven

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS header hitting k member when turning or car sits uneven

Ok so lately i have been getting a vibration (loud clanky vibration) when turning right and anytime the engine settles down at idle. What i mean by settling down is that when i come to a stop you can look at the rpm's and they hover at like 800 for just a second and then it drops just a little bit lower, on that drop is when it vibrates and clanks but just for a second. It doesn't keep doing it unless the car is sitting uneven. When i installed headers i did have to have an exhaust shop notch the k member, they didn't do a very good job and the notch is very jagged. So I'm thinking maybe the headers are touching the k slightly but just for a sec? i can't figure out why it only does it when turning right or the car is uneven. I installed new poly motor mounts when i did the headers. So i don't think its that. What is really getting me is that after the exhaust shop notched the k member, maybe four months ago, i didn't have any vibrations until about a week ago. The vibration seems to be getting worse and worse, any ideas? i can't see where it is hitting but it feels just like it did when it was hitting the k member. Could i just need to make a bigger notch in my k member?

Last edited by ggino85; 03-19-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have a ramp or something you drive up on and look under the car? This is something you are going have to diagnose, get under the car and check the clearance for all of the exhaust, not just the headers, the y-pipe could be rubbing the under body as well.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Yea i have ramps, I looked at the headers and they look fine when on the ramps. When i get home i'll get under it again and check it out, i'll also take pictures of the notch so people can see how much clearance there is from header to k member. The y pipe, i didn't even think about that! i know people have issues with them hitting. i never had the problem so i didn't even think of this, thanks! i will definitely check it. I have slightly bumped it against a speed bump recently so i wonder if that pushed it up?
Old 03-21-2016, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Ok so finally had a chance to put the car on the ramps. While looking around i noticed that on the steering shaft, the pinch bolt that holds the shaft into the rack n pinion was missing the nut. I put a temporary nut on and i think that fixed my issue?? could a nut not holding the pinch bolt tight cause the steering shaft to shift/vibrate and rub on the header? i think i can even see a clean spot on the shaft where it was rubbing. I haven't been able to replicate my problem since installing the nut, so hopefully that was it and THANKFULLY my steering shaft didn't pop off the rack and cause a SERIOUS problem.

Last edited by ggino85; 03-22-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Well...... I still haven't been able to replicate the vibration when i turn. I mean I still get a very small rumble through the gas peddle when i take off, the header is slightly touching the k member in another spot I'm aware of (different from what was notched previously). But that is completely different form the one i started this thread about. I really think the steering shaft was loose and was some how hitting the header when turning. Anyone else ever had this happen?
Old 03-22-2016, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Steering shaft was probably rubbing the header, mine slightly rubbed on some turns before a buddy and i did some grinding to it, but I only felt a slight vibration in the steering wheel and no where else.
Did the shop install the headers? If so they probably took off the steering shaft and forgot to put the bolt back.
Try and notch the k-member or put a small dent in the header to get rid of the rubbing.

Quick Reply: DS header hitting k member when turning or car sits uneven