Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can routing for MY particular car please look and advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Catch can routing for MY particular car please look and advise

I have the drivers valve cover completely blocked off.

The passenger side is routed:

Dirty going into the catch can.
Clean to the intake from the catch can.

Then front throttle body to the passenger valve cover.

My question is should I remove the breather from the valve cover for better suction? Also would this be considered a functional install?

Ls2 engine

Last edited by ssdungeon; 03-27-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could be wrong, but I don't think you want that breather on there at all - you're introducing unmetered air into the intake by doing so. Otherwise, it all looks good to me. I would have kept the driver's valve cover hooked up as well.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Thanks atrus

I don't know what to hook that side up to on the drivers side. dumThere was a nipple there I capped it off. dumMy passenger cover has only 1 nipple going to the catch can. I have seen covers with 2 but mine only has 1.

I assumed having the breather would simulate sucking a straw with a hole in the side. I wasn't sure because I see this setup with different configurations.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ssdungeon
I don't know what to hook that side up to on the drivers side. dumThere was a nipple there I capped it off. dumMy passenger cover has only 1 nipple going to the catch can. I have seen covers with 2 but mine only has 1.

I assumed having the breather would simulate sucking a straw with a hole in the side. I wasn't sure because I see this setup with different configurations.
If you are running a closed loop system (like you are) you do not want an open breather anywhere, like said above that lets unmetered air into the engine. The intake draws vacuum through the PCV system from the crankcase, then the crank case draws vacuum from the top passenger side of the valve cover line that connects to the throttle body. Everything is closed off and contained within it self, all air going in is coming from the air lid, metered by the maf. So if you throw a breather on there the intake will be drawing air from the crankcase which will be drawing air from that breather, that air is not measured by the maf, thats not what you want, its like having a vacuum leak. If you want to run a breather then buy one with a one-way out check valve. That way pressure can escape from the crankcase through the breather but nothing can be drawn in through it.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks JD
That was sort of what I was thinking. I dont have a MAF at all the car is tuned SD. But I definitely appreciate and get your point. So other than the breather is there anything else that needs to be changed or is the tubing correct?
Old 03-27-2016, 09:43 PM
Launching!

You can run breathers and a pcv system but you have to cap off the fresh air inlet. Then the breathers become the fresh air source. Otherwise it's just a vacuum leak.

Fyi fresh air hose is the one from the tb to vc.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Closed vs open setup

I have seen diagram after diagram and you are right.
I would get more suction from no breather there. Which is safer on a H/C Nitrous car I mean simply which is better for the engine?

Also am I ok by completely blocking off the drivers valley cover?

If its better to loose the breather I dont mind I can put a regular cap there. If it is better to cap the fresh air inlet I can do that too.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2016, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone know which is better? Using a Breather or capping my oil fill plug and pulling through the Throttle body for fresh air. Its a nitrous set up
Old 04-28-2016, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Should i T from the tb to the drvers valve cover or leave the driver side capped off? Also will i need any check valves anywhere? Of so add an autozone or orlileys part number for the check valve.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ssdungeon
Should i T from the tb to the drvers valve cover or leave the driver side capped off? Also will i need any check valves anywhere? Of so add an autozone or orlileys part number for the check valve.
The way you have it is correct now, except why did you put a breather on the catch can??? If its and open breather and doesn't have a one-way check valve you are still letting unmetered air into the engine. Stop with the breathers...
Honestly with all the money you've spent on the engine buy yourself a good catch can while you are at it. Mighty mouse, RX, or Elite.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for answering JD!!!

I got the idea of the breather there from mighty mouses diagram. I couldn't get the final answer to my question here. On his diagram the only difference was a T from the drivers valve cover to the passenger that's why I asked.

I read several places that motors with over 700 HP need a breather too so just in case mine would be over 700 HP I added one to the can. I can say it does catch some oil not much but enough to haze coat the inside of the intake. I am going to clean the inside of the intake one more time and see what happens.

That can I took apart and added baffles and locked the steel wool down to the bottom to catch the oil, I also have a tube going down into the center of the steel wool with holes drilled down each side.

The Can was 18.00 shipped, the steel wool was 1.50, the breather was 1.98 shipped the barb was 2.25 the mesh I used for holding down the steel wool was free I had it already. I just ordered a 12mm check valve for 3.50 shipped, I will replace the barb with this...I actually ordered two for that price just in case I need one somewhere else. Thanks for the knowledge and to all who answered thanks for taking the time to answer. After the check valve...I promise I will leave the breathers alone .
Attached Thumbnails Catch can routing for MY particular car please look and advise-checki.jpg  

Quick Reply: Catch can routing for MY particular car please look and advise