Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A pretty dumb harness question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A pretty dumb harness question

Iam re-doing my stock truck harness to go with the ls6 manifold I am running . I won't lie Iam following lt1 swap instructions anyway the only real thing holding me back from re orienting it the way the cars harness lays out are two multi wire ground junctions. Now for the dumb question ... Is a ground just a ground just a ground? Can I just cut them loose and re ground them however it works out best? The reason I ask is I keep reading about how the ecm will supply a ground on some stuff too so Iam confused. At least two of the ground wires that enter the junction go to the ecm. Sorry just want to make sure Iam not setting myself up for a headache . Thanks and go easy on me Iam new
Old 04-08-2016, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

A ground just a ground, correct. But it needs to be a good solid ground. Not to some piece of sheet metal, but to the engine or frame. Correct again, the ECM does supply grounds to the different circuits, but the ECM gets its grounds from different grounds wires. Such as the ones you have here.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I appreciate you taking the time to post. I will just re route and keep as many grounds as I found nice and solid and that should be that. Thanks again
Old 04-08-2016, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Yes you need to keep all of the grounds. You can slice them together into to a single larger grade wire and run that to a more inconspicuous place to mount the ground wires to, if you are looking to clean up the wiring.

Quick Reply: A pretty dumb harness question