Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Car runs like crap now!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP: Car runs like crap now!!!

Hey guys,
I recently installed Pacesetter longtubes and new spark plugs (NGK TR5GP iirc) on my 2001 camaro z28. The stock ypipe wouldn't work so while waiting for the new ORY to arrive, I drove the car a few times with open headers. Car ran fantastic, especially considering the only O2s were connected to the rear O2 harness. It pulled hard, it sounded strong at all RPM.

I removed the headers and wrapped them, then reinstalled (with new gaskets). After installing the ORY, I started the car and it ran like a turd. It barely idled. It was smoking like crazy (Pretty sure it isn't the header paint as that burned off during the initial open header drives. Plus, this smoking is even heavier than before). It doesn't sound like a v8, exhaust note wise, so I'm going to check all my plug wires first.

Also installed a set of C5 vette wheels with a 17"/18" stagger. The car is now extremely squirrel-y. I stepped on it to hear the exhaust and it axle hopped like no ones business, which has only happened once before when going over some rough road. I hit a bump on the interstate doing about 75mph and she danced and swayed all sorts of ways.

Any ideas will help. I'm really good at f***ing things up but not very good at fixing it.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You have likely fouled the o2 sensors.

Fix the front o2 sensor wiring with extensions (or get Corvette o2 sensors which have longer wires to reach), install new o2 sensors, and get the car properly tuned for the headers/ORY.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

I ordered and installed Pacesetter O2 extensions when I installed the y pipe. And I do not have the money right now to get a good tune. And I'm pretty sure the nearest tuner to me is Kansas City, STL, or Chicago. So that is a bigger pain than you'd think.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

In that case start by inspecting the o2 wiring for burns or broker wires and possibly replacing the o2 sensors. Some kind of cheap scanner or app and OBDII bluetooth reader could also help you see what's going on.

You might also look over the plugs and wires really well. If you had the headers off again it's easy to crack either.

Once you think you get the bulk of the problem lined out by fixing the above, you could always do a simple mail order tune to hold you off. Or it might run fine once the problem is corrected and you can wait for a dyno tune.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SumDumKid
I ordered and installed Pacesetter O2 extensions when I installed the y pipe. And I do not have the money right now to get a good tune. And I'm pretty sure the nearest tuner to me is Kansas City, STL, or Chicago. So that is a bigger pain than you'd think.
No you don't have to go to those city's you can drive your car to desmoines and come to the ws6 store or Karl performance but I think Karl sucks at tuning and charge a lot of money that's the only 2 places I know in desmoines that tunes in less there is Someone ells that tunes these cars that I don't know of
Old 04-20-2016, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Cracked spark plug X2 or plug wire burnt
Old 04-20-2016, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

I agree with Toes.....
Old 04-21-2016, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

You can get a mail-order tune from Frost for like 150-200?
Old 04-22-2016, 04:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SumDumKid
You want an O2 or two? I have mine off my WS6 I think. I am running sims on the rears so they are just laying in my toolbox. I live in Iowa City and go to Cedar Rapids twice week minimal.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you to all that replied. I appreciate the troubleshooting with me. I have it all sorted out now

To klinznilk: I don't need any O2s. I have 4 (stockers) and only need 2. Thanks though.

To HappySalesman: Thanks for the idea of Frost. I printed off the form and will be sending my PCM in within the next month.

To Toes/SwEeTWs6: I put the stock plugs back in (.040" gap) instead of my NGKs (.050" gap) and it idles and revs much happier now.

Smoking is gone, must have just been some paint that got scorched due to the trapped heat from the wrap.
I dynamic balanced all 4 new wheels. One of the rears was almost 2oz out of balance due to a weight falling off at some point. No more hop.
Tires do rub on the inner wheel well. BFH mod soon to come...

Quick Reply: HELP: Car runs like crap now!!!