Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modification Plan...Thoughts

Old 06-16-2004, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modification Plan...Thoughts

OK Here are my planned modifications for right now. Currently I have a Random Tech catback (which I'll be getting rid of), comp 918 blue stripes, and 3.73 gears.

Intake Plans:
-SUX2BU Ram-Air Kit (Pics: 1, 2, 3, 4)
-Direct-Flow Lid
-Airflo.com single hump rubber intake hose (smooth bellow)
-AMS Stage III Ported 80mm TB
-AMS Ported LS6 Intake Manifold

Exhaust Plans:
-Coated Pacesetter Long Tubes
-3" ORYP
-Dual cut-outs similar to what SUX2BU runs (track)
-Borla Style Cat-Back (Street)

Valvetrain Plans:
-Thunder Racing TR224 112 cam

Misc Plans:
-ASP Pulley
-Full LS1-Edit Tune

All this should only cost around $2000 which I can do in a few months.

What Do you think I could put out with this combination?

11's are what I'm looking for, will they be possible with this combo of mods?

Any Other Thoughts???

Thanks,
Ryan B
Old 06-16-2004, 08:32 AM
TECH Regular

On the intake side you don't mention MAF sensor upgrades. It's a whole package, if you do your TB, Lid, Bellows, intake, then why not the MAF also?
I can't predict if you will or won't break into the 11s. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

From what I've seen, MAF mods are not worth the time or money, If after I do all the above mentioned mods though I still think I could squeeze a little more out by installing a Z06 MAF or similar, then I may go that route.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Well, I won't dispute what you say as many mods aren't worth the time or money. One mod you mention that is definitely NOT worth the time and money is the smooth bellows.
Your car is already fast by the way, good job especially with the manual trans.

Oh, just a little more comment...The MAF might not be worth much on an otherwise stock intake, but since you will have done EVERYTHING else to increase air flow (from intake through cam, through exhaust, the MAF may become the restriction and could be holding you back 10 or more HP, even if on a stock engine it would only be holding you back 1 hp...This is speculation though as I have no direct frame of reference.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

My only concern with the 85mm is that I'm not sure how well an it mats up to a direct flow lid. I know TSP sells the 85mm lid but it's $50 more than the direct flow I'm looking at. I may post this as a topic and see what others have to say on the subject as well.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Wow! That intake set up will be ready handle way more than the 224 will be able to throw at it. Should be a great start to making an awesome car though. I like the ram air mod...is there a screen over the holes in the front fascia? If not, that thing can be sucking in rocks, leaves, etc. Could end up being dangerous.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

I'll end up putting a screen in front of the opening for that exact reason. The couple of guys who have been using it have been picking up impressive gains over other ram-air systems even.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

is thats is dry shot nozzle u got in there

i like thats ramair set up
Old 06-17-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=99_1LE_Z]I know TSP sells the 85mm lid but it's $50 more than the direct flow I'm looking at.QUOTE]
Just a bit of advice that I live by is that you should never take the cheapest route. Do your research and use this forum to your advantage. But never buy a part that may not work as well with your setup because it is cheaper, especially only $50. You don't want to regret it later on.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by silverTA
is thats is dry shot nozzle u got in there

i like thats ramair set up
the guy who owns the red SS in the Ram-Air pics has N20 so you probably are seeing a dry shot nozzle. I'm going to keep it N/A until I can build my new motor though, so no spray for me.

The ram-air setup is something I've been wanting to do for a long time and was going to build my own system, but when Juan (SUX2BU) built the plate and put the whole kit together, then I figured why waste my time on the project
Old 06-17-2004, 05:14 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=2ndGenWs6Owner]
Originally Posted by 99_1LE_Z
I know TSP sells the 85mm lid but it's $50 more than the direct flow I'm looking at.QUOTE]
Just a bit of advice that I live by is that you should never take the cheapest route. Do your research and use this forum to your advantage. But never buy a part that may not work as well with your setup because it is cheaper, especially only $50. You don't want to regret it later on.
I usually live by that advice myself, but I'm seeing just how far I can get the car on a budget, so that's why I asked how well the Direct flow works with the 85mm MAF, because before TSP made that particular lid, I think that the regular 75mm lids is all that was available and people ran the 85mm MAFs all the time still. I also look at it this way, If I'm going to spend an extra $150 on the MAF, then $50 more dollars on a different lid, I just want to make sure that is the best route for performance. hopefully somebody that has an 85mm MAF and a 75mm lid could chime in and let me know if they wish they had gone with an 85mm lid...

Thanks

Search this Thread