Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help relocating a coil!

Old 04-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help relocating a coil!

Does anyone know of a relocation bracket for the #8 coil only. On my 96 impala ss the #8 coil interferes with the wiper motor, and $100 bucks for a small bracket to move it up towards the fuel rail seems a bit steep. Does anyone make these from home, or does anyone have a better price on something that could work in its place?
Old 04-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Teching In

You can see where the coil would interfere there.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strokedluxury
You can see where the coil would interfere there.

If you just need to move it up toward the fuel rail make it your self out of 2 pieces of flat stock. I have moved all 4 coils on a factory bracket this way.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by uraloser2me2
If you just need to move it up toward the fuel rail make it your self out of 2 pieces of flat stock. I have moved all 4 coils on a factory bracket this way.

I will attempt if there is no other option, but my fabrication skills are in its infancy. This is actually my first build, so I'm learning every day. Could I commission you to make one? Sometimes I wish I majored in mechanical engineering vs Chemical Engineering lol.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strokedluxury
I will attempt if there is no other option, but my fabrication skills are in its infancy. This is actually my first build, so I'm learning every day. Could I commission you to make one? Sometimes I wish I majored in mechanical engineering vs Chemical Engineering lol.
Do you want to move all 4 coils up or just the rear one?
Old 04-28-2016, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Most of the relocation brackets I'v seen are for all of the coils. You might consider doing that. Can't move it too far, or the wiring harness and standard plug wire won't fit.

But, fabbing simple parts and brackets like this is how you can started. Break out the hacksaw and drill, and go to it. I'v been doing it for years with basic hand tools. Some of it looks pretty good, and some of it... well, not so good. But it always works. Eventually. Do be afraid to toss it out and start over until you get it where you want it.

Nearly all of my Fab efforts start with CAD - Cardboard Aided Design.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by uraloser2me2
Do you want to move all 4 coils up or just the rear one?
I wanted just the one to avoid getting new wiresite if possible. But everything I see is usually for 4, and require getting longer wires. I found one that moved just the #8, but at $100 bucks, it seemed like an extreme Rip. I understand R&D, but that seems like a bit much.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:57 PM
Teching In

I think I will need to start my CAD, and figure out how to DIY this project.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help relocating a coil!