Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with idle issues looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with idle issues looking for help

Hey guys, I just picked up an 01 z28. This is my first GM car and I'm still figuring how they operate. A little background info, the 4l60e blew for the prior owner, he took the engine out to re-gasket the motor and install with a level 2 trans and a circle d 3800 nitrous converter.

I bought the car with a bad idle issue when the engine is cold, I can barely get it to run unless I keep the RPMs up for a couple minutes before driving. The car smells like it's running rich. No check engine codes. I've been searching on this forum for advice but I'm hitting a dead end.

What I've done so far, I tried locating the grounds, the 2 on the radiator support are ok, the ones on both sides of the block are good. I managed to feel what I think was 1 (of the 3?) wire bolted to the back of driver head, I couldn't feel any grounds on the back of the passenger head but I might not have gotten my hand back far enough. The pcv tubing is all connected and appears to be brand new oem, it routes from front of intake to back of passenger and driver head. All the vacuum lines appear to be connected when I look at the diagram on the DS shock tower. I replaced the pcv valve within the hose but that didn't help. I hooked up a vacuum gauge and it read about 15/16 pounds. Unplugged the Iac, made no difference.

An interesting thing I noticed. If I disconnect the pcv valve and tube from the front of the intake and leave the pcv port unplugged, the engine idles great. If I plug the port with my finger or plug the pcv valve and hose back into the port it dies right away. Any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. This idle problem is driving me nuts.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Check your Coolant temp sensor and Air Intake Temp Sensor. From what you have described, it sounds like it is running too rich. A wire at coolant sensor plug on my car broke and it would barely run and was very rich.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:13 PM
Teching In

I'll check those out this weekend and post back. I just re-torqued my intake because the bolts were all loose but thst didn't help. Possible I have bad intake gaskets from running it with the intake lose. I'll pull the intake if the sensors check out good. My brother has a 98 z28 I can swap sensors with.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

There's a tune diagnostic forum for issues like this.....
Old 05-13-2016, 04:23 PM
Teching In

My apologies, I wasn't sure what forum would be most appropriate. I'll try reposting it in the tune forum.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Updates?
Old 05-22-2016, 09:06 AM
Teching In

I've yet to take it for a test drive because the water pump went out too but I was able to confirm the IAC. It was stuck and wasn't opening. I cleaned it out with carb cleaner, bolted it back on and it started idling again perfectly.

Quick Reply: Newbie with idle issues looking for help