Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bullet/muffler for SLP Loudmouth--opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New bullet/muffler for SLP Loudmouth--opinions!

Hey guys!

Long story short, I picked up a set of Kooks LT's, Kooks catted Y, and an SLP Loudmouth, minus the Loudmouth part.

I've been looking around a lot at different configurations, listening on Youtube, and the one that sticks out to me is putting a 3" chambered muffler (Powerstick, Stainless Works, Madhammer, whatever GMMG style) in the mid pipe where the Loudmouth resonator would go. Every clip sounds amazing to me. Nice low end rumble, the right amount of rasp (I'll be catted anyway), seemingly loud? The Powersticks seem to be cheap, and I'd probably go with a 3" "medium" length one.

But I want some opinions, since there are so many other options out there. I've listened to the Borla/Magna/Dynamouth setups on Youtube and they all sound good in their own way. What I'm looking for specifically is:

> LOUD, but with some tone to it (my neighbors like my car, and I have yet to scare any pedestrians, so it's clearly not loud enough)
> Some rasp (I'm catted anyway, so I'm sure even an LM1 is cool)
> Flows well (I'm putting a cam on it in the near future)
> Will actually fit under my car in the mid pipe (because F-body)
> ~$150 (because I spend too much money on video games and anime stuff)

On my car currently are stock manifolds/cats, and a Rustmaster 80 with an open cutout. <3 the Flowmaster sound, but it's falling apart inside and it's annoying hearing pieces rattling around. And with the cutout open I still want it louder.

I know throwing just the Loudmouth resonator on it would make it loud and probably sound nice to me anyway, at least for the first while. But maybe if it had a bit more tone...?

But yeah, sorta rambling here. I run with tops off/windows down and want to hear this thing rumble, cackle, and not have to wait for 3k+ RPM to get volume out of it. My car is an auto. Help me scare old people and not sound like a dump truck doing it!

Neko
Old 05-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

I have a dynomax bullet in the i pipe dumped with a ory. To me it's not THAT loud, compared to my friends with lm1 out the back, his is quite a bit louder. Now if you you're gonna have cats and and a chambered muffler, to me that'd be way to quite lol mine has more tone though than the lm1 setup. His is more of a raw sound while mine has some time to it.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a magnaflow stainless steel bullet. I have one with my loudmouth setup.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GTkllr
I have a dynomax bullet in the i pipe dumped with a ory. To me it's not THAT loud, compared to my friends with lm1 out the back, his is quite a bit louder. Now if you you're gonna have cats and and a chambered muffler, to me that'd be way to quite lol mine has more tone though than the lm1 setup. His is more of a raw sound while mine has some time to it.
Hmm. I thought the chambered mufflers were on the louder side. But I haven't heard one in person. But yeah, Kooks high flow 3" cats/Y, if that makes a difference over a normal catted setup.

Originally Posted by BODUKE
Get a magnaflow stainless steel bullet. I have one with my loudmouth setup.
How loud is it? My thought was always that Magnaflows weren't overly aggressive/loud sounding.

Thanks for the input so far.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on what you are saying I dont think I would put anything in the I-pipe as long as you have cats. Try it that way first anyway. I think you will be surprised how much bark the cats knock off.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I used to have the LM1 with long tubes and ORY pipe, and hated it lol. Had the Magnaflow 14419 Bullet muffler welded in place of the LM1. Much better tone with very little rasp, but still very loud
Old 05-17-2016, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Did a setup on my buddies car where we put a flowmaster 40 series where the loudmouth resonator would be and it sounded awesome almost mustang-esque. We copied this setup

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...th-saweet.html
Old 05-17-2016, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I have almost exactly the same setup now - Kooks, kooks catted y, and SLP loudmouth 2. I previously had stock manifolds, SLP Y and LM2, and I liked it a lot. Lots of ppl said it sounded awesome, but it was for sure quiet enough for the neighborhood.

The new setup is a lot louder. But it can be quiet-ish when cruising, but it IS noticeably louder at ALL times. Having a conversation requires a bit more volume. I think it sounds darn good like a real racecar. It's got a quiet(er) band, but on power it gets very loud, with a moderate amount of rasp, but not too much, less than some annoying Fords. I can't really speak for flow, as I assume I gained most of my HP from the headers on a recent dyno tune. I don't have a video or sound to share.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

I guess the good thing about this setup is I can just swap in mufflers/resonators if I opt to clamp it. Every option sounds great on YouTube but it's hard to judge if there's any low end rumble. May just end up buying a couple lol.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
I have almost exactly the same setup now - Kooks, kooks catted y, and SLP loudmouth 2. I previously had stock manifolds, SLP Y and LM2, and I liked it a lot. Lots of ppl said it sounded awesome, but it was for sure quiet enough for the neighborhood.

The new setup is a lot louder. But it can be quiet-ish when cruising, but it IS noticeably louder at ALL times. Having a conversation requires a bit more volume. I think it sounds darn good like a real racecar. It's got a quiet(er) band, but on power it gets very loud, with a moderate amount of rasp, but not too much, less than some annoying Fords. I can't really speak for flow, as I assume I gained most of my HP from the headers on a recent dyno tune. I don't have a video or sound to share.

Would you say there's actual tone with the catted LM2 setup? I was thinking about it. I know the LM1 is loud, but the LM2 should offer that more modest, aggressive sound, right? I love the rumble from my old Flowmaster 80 but but it's time for an overhaul. It's also too quiet.

The 40 series install is interesting. If only they offered it in a bullet style LOL. I'm thinking about rigging it up as a swap style for a couple different mufflers. I'm one of those people who hates getting used to something and love to keep changing it up.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Borla XR-1 is loud and has great tone.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Neko
Would you say there's actual tone with the catted LM2 setup? I was thinking about it. I know the LM1 is loud, but the LM2 should offer that more modest, aggressive sound, right? I love the rumble from my old Flowmaster 80 but but it's time for an overhaul. It's also too quiet.

The 40 series install is interesting. If only they offered it in a bullet style LOL. I'm thinking about rigging it up as a swap style for a couple different mufflers. I'm one of those people who hates getting used to something and love to keep changing it up.
There is a company who makes a bullet 2 chamber muffler. Would tuck in pretty nice.

http://performance-curve.com/JFP300.aspx

Quick Reply: New bullet/muffler for SLP Loudmouth--opinions!