Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GUYS!! help out a rookie with his pcv routing

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GUYS!! help out a rookie with his pcv routing

How are you guys routing your hoses and PCV system with and without catch can? I have a ls6 valley cover and I'm getting excessive oil In my intake, don't have a catch can yet but I know I really need one.. ls6 valley cover goes to the intake port, and I have a hose from DS valve cover to PS valve cover at the rear and PS valve cover at the front I have a hose going to the TB... what am I doing wrong here? btw only have about 500 miles since I did my 408.. thanks in advance guys and gals
Old 05-20-2016, 06:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That all sounds feasible to me. Could block off the rear ports on the driver and passenger side. The LS6 valley would feed to the port on the manifold (the lower port), and then the port on the TB should go to the front of the passenger valve cover.

Do you have the newer revised valley cover? Earlier covers still utilized an external PCV. 2004 and later were redesigned for an internal PCV. If you have the earlier cover, and aren't running a PCV, perhaps that could be causing the issue?

Otherwise, the catch can would be spliced into the line from the valley cover to the manifold port. You'd probably want to mount on the front of the passenger side head. Run a new line from the valley cover to the can, and then from the can to the manifold port. If your valley cover requires a PCV, though, the catch can doesn't replace that need - you'd still want to run the PCV along with the can.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Its possible to get some back pressure to the throttle body port (on high rpms and shutting the throttle quickly). I am putting a check valve there b/c I got some oil flowing back to the TB from my valve cover. It is normally the clean air intake line. The caveat is that my catch can is Mighty Mouse which has a built in pressure relief (with filter), a lot of other cans don't have that so you could build a lot of pressure if you installed the check valve like I describe.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the input guys, I went ahead and bought a double catch can from saikou michi
Old 05-22-2016, 06:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default GUYS!! help out a rookie with his pcv routing

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
Its possible to get some back pressure to the throttle body port (on high rpms and shutting the throttle quickly). I am putting a check valve there b/c I got some oil flowing back to the TB from my valve cover. It is normally the clean air intake line. The caveat is that my catch can is Mighty Mouse which has a built in pressure relief (with filter), a lot of other cans don't have that so you could build a lot of pressure if you installed the check valve like I describe.
I designed my setup with a check valve from the throttle body to the valve cover, only allowing air to flow from the TB to the valve cover. I have a thread showing pics of it as it sits right now(not on the car, waiting on heads from machine shop)

Wouldn't the excess pressure just vent through the dirty pcv line?

Quick Reply: GUYS!! help out a rookie with his pcv routing