Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for the daily

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for the daily

Ok guys I have a 02 z28 with a well built 4l60 and an trailblazer converter its got a lid, bellows, u/d pulley and hitting it with 125 wet... stock 2:73 gears and a hard tire it's my daily driver I put 75-80 miles a day I need some suggestions for a route to go that won't take away from driveability thanks in advance
Old 06-21-2016, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Change the gear
Old 06-22-2016, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Change the gear
3.23's or 3.42's......and a tune.

Will make the car feel so much more 'alive' and really won't kill gas mileage like some would think.

KW
Old 06-22-2016, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

skip the tuning. a daily needs to stay with an OEM tune for best reliability.

I agree with the gears. Do not over-do it (3.23 is fine) until the engine catches up.
A converter would be next. 2800rpm stall 9.5" lockup. The transmission at the same time (700r4l60e.com for example, makes an incredible unit).

By leaving the engine mostly alone you can preserve it better. Street cars are built upon 1: filtration, use high quality filters for all liquids and especially air. The OEM paper filters, although slightly power robbing, will protect the engine longer than any other options. You can always carry and switch to a better filter for a track day. 2. temp control, fabricate ducting or use reflective aluminum shields and exhaust wrap/coatings to keep underhood temps way down. and finally 3: low weight and low rolling resistance for economy. Take anything out of the vehicle you can stand to drive without. Pay attn to the suspension components which may be worn and affect economy and resistance. Tire pressure and alignment are important contributing factors to economy. Use the lightest wheels possible, a set of forged aluminum is often light/strong.

All of these are aspects which improve the daily driver character, and preserve engine longevity.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
3.23's or 3.42's......and a tune.

Will make the car feel so much more 'alive' and really won't kill gas mileage like some would think.

KW

Will 3:73s be too much I ask because I have a set just haven't done the swap yet
Old 06-28-2016, 09:48 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
skip the tuning. a daily needs to stay with an OEM tune for best reliability.
I don't know where that idea came from. My stock tune went away 100k ago, and the car continues to go strong at 145k. It not whether it's stock tune, it's the quality of the tune. A lot of tuners optimize their AFR much closer than stock, and tranny tuning can prolong the life of the unit by lessening slippage.

Other than that, if you're driving 80 miles a day, be prepared to take an mpg hit with those 3.73's.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Leave the gears alone, especially with that much DD. Go with a stall instead. Check out this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...up-2-73-s.html
Old 06-29-2016, 02:23 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I would do gears before a converter. Even if you re-stalled, your acceleration is going to be crap once the converter starts to couple. 3.42 is still a good gear for a daily with overdrive. You'll be around ~2300 on the highway at 70-75 in overdrive depending on tire size (could be more or less). The difference in acceleration will be very noticeable.

3.73s will cause you to run ~2500 or so on the highway.

If you want more power off the bottle that is still very easy to daily, get a cam/tune. Nothing major. Small cam that still lets you use mostly stock components. You can get fairly big cams that still idle great.

Last edited by JoeNova; 06-29-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I don't know where that idea came from. My stock tune went away 100k ago, and the car continues to go strong at 145k. It not whether it's stock tune, it's the quality of the tune. A lot of tuners optimize their AFR much closer than stock, and tranny tuning can prolong the life of the unit by lessening slippage.

Other than that, if you're driving 80 miles a day, be prepared to take an mpg hit with those 3.73's.
It comes from random chance. The idea that, yeah you might get lucky and find a good tuner. But you also might wind up with a broken piston problem after driving 10k on a poor timing map. So the way I see it: tune what you own, yourself, or don't touch it at all. Stop depending on other people to do things because that is a slice of random **** pie. This goes towards the trans also, unless the tuner has owned a few of that exact transmission, and built them himself, and put 100k or 150k on a few of these... it could go either way. "it feels better" Isn't always better.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for the daily