Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Open Headers?

Guys, i was told by one of my good buddies whome has driven a chevy 350...older w/ open headers and said if u drive it and downshift or anything to the point where having no back pressure is a factor..i can hurt some kinda seal or something in the engine...whats the deal w/ this?
Old 06-20-2004, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He means the valves. It's an urban legend that you can burn up the valve seals while running open headers because of the lack of piping that causes cool air to get to the insides of the engine. IMO it's all legend, never actually heard of it happening.

Running open headers will not hurt you (unless your air/fuel ratio is way off).
Old 06-20-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Resident

i ran l/t's back in march for a week or two, it did fine. only way your gonna f-up the valves is if your running shorty headers in real cold winter imo, if even then. only prob would be if cold air went back up into the head and hit that really hot valve it might present a problem
Old 06-20-2004, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

only problem is they're loud as PHUK... gets all kind of the wrong attention...

yeah i heard about burning up the exhaust valve too :dunno:
Old 06-20-2004, 02:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I heard the same thing long ago in high school. The rule I have always been told is to have at least 2-3' of pipe from the head. Long tube headers cover this requirement. Your car will be fine. It WILL be stupid loud, though. I had to drive my 97 Z28 to the muffler shop to get a custom Y-pipe after installing Jet-Hot long tubes. The car sounded wicked, but I was afraid of getting a ticket. Loud was an understatement!!!!!

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 06-20-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL thanks guys...down the street and back can't hurt then. MUUAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
LOL thanks guys...down the street and back can't hurt then. MUUAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Hell no it won't...I ORDER you to drive it down the street and back. It's ****** awesome.

That's what i did and it's insane!!
Old 06-20-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Gotta go get that quality QTP Y pipe put on huh? Good luck man...
Old 06-20-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Major problems, HELP!

Guys i got the QTP LT's in...its all good..MIGHT have a minor leak..how do i fix this...do i just tighten the bolts a little more...someone had it posted somewhere 18 ft lbs...do i go more than that b/c i'm afriad to stip the aluminum block...now for the major problem...the QTP catted y-pipe is the biggest peice of sh*t in the world...it looks like it wasnt even planned when they put the bends into it...i have the cats mounted now just to quiet it down b/c i cant be w/out a car any longer..i have to get back and forth to work...so now...i already cut a foot of pipe off my loudmouth cat back....and now it finally is short enough to mount the y-pipe but the problem is the loudmouth right before the resonater is angled up..so when i put the y on it goes up into my driveshaft...also its about 4 inches off to the passenger side...AND the cross memebr that connects my slp sfc's....NO WAY to get that back on so what now....i'm screwed? HELP!
Old 06-21-2004, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
Guys i got the QTP LT's in...its all good..MIGHT have a minor leak..how do i fix this...do i just tighten the bolts a little more...someone had it posted somewhere 18 ft lbs...do i go more than that b/c i'm afriad to stip the aluminum block...now for the major problem...the QTP catted y-pipe is the biggest peice of sh*t in the world...it looks like it wasnt even planned when they put the bends into it...i have the cats mounted now just to quiet it down b/c i cant be w/out a car any longer..i have to get back and forth to work...so now...i already cut a foot of pipe off my loudmouth cat back....and now it finally is short enough to mount the y-pipe but the problem is the loudmouth right before the resonater is angled up..so when i put the y on it goes up into my driveshaft...also its about 4 inches off to the passenger side...AND the cross memebr that connects my slp sfc's....NO WAY to get that back on so what now....i'm screwed? HELP!
The header bolts are supposed to be torqued all to like 14ft/lbs first then again 18ft/lbs. if its leaking then you need a new gasket or the flange is warped. the ypipe is not installed correctly, mine was doing the same, touching against the driveshaft, you need to expand all the openings of the ypipe and fit it on correctly, then its not even close to the driveshaft. any exhaust shop can install the ypipe correctly and be on your way. good luck.