Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making Weatherpak connections, T splices?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Question Making Weatherpak connections, T splices?

this is posted in electronics but is also sort of "engine" related if you have experience

I am going to replace some cheap connectors on my 'special lighting system' with Weatherpak connectors or something similar.
I need to make some T splices on a couple connections, that is, 2 wires soldered/crimped into 1 end of the connection. Is this possible? I see that the weatherpaks have pretty tight tolerances and need the water tight seal. Would there be a good way to make a T splice on the middle of the wire and have it be totally watertight and secure?
Anybody with experience have some ideas on this?
Old 06-20-2004, 01:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you solder the "T" (Y) connetion inline and just put
some good heat-shrink tubing over it, that will be
plenty good. You have to protect connectors from
corrosion so they don't degrade contact; no such
concern on a soldered joint really. Put a wire loom
jacket over the harness and it will shed the road spray
before it even thinks about crawling up inside the heat
shrink anyhow.

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
this is posted in electronics but is also sort of "engine" related if you have experience

I am going to replace some cheap connectors on my 'special lighting system' with Weatherpak connectors or something similar.
I need to make some T splices on a couple connections, that is, 2 wires soldered/crimped into 1 end of the connection. Is this possible? I see that the weatherpaks have pretty tight tolerances and need the water tight seal. Would there be a good way to make a T splice on the middle of the wire and have it be totally watertight and secure?
Anybody with experience have some ideas on this?
Old 06-20-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely solder and heat shrink. Strip back a bit of insulation from one wire and then wrap the second wire around it neatly. Solder and apply heat shrink.

I used weatherpacks on ALL of the connections outside of the passenger compartment. I soldered all weather pack connections as well.

Quick Reply: Making Weatherpak connections, T splices?