Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie question BUT...sealed airbox or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default newbie question BUT...sealed airbox or no?

Has it ever been 'decided' on whether a sealed airbox with a 'ftra/ssra' underneath is better performing than leaving the front of the box open?

I've always ran with the front open, but never tried sealing it off...I figure the more air the better.

Such a noob question BTW....
Old 06-20-2004, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

I'd like to know this too. And I don't really understand how you "seal" off the air box. From reading your post I'd think that you seal the holes on the front bottom part of the box off, but isn't that where the air flow from the SS scoop comes in? So if you sealed that off then wouldn't you be stopping that air flow?
Old 06-20-2004, 07:48 PM
Launching!

TTT

I am also interested in this, What and were gets sealed off? My SLP cod air is on order and don't understand what is getting sealed off....

Last edited by L-SS-1; 06-20-2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:14 PM
Launching!

for my SSRA kit, it comes with a weather stripping piece that will seal the factory inlet for air on the front of the air box, it seals it off and makes the air from the ram air kit the only air allowed in so that what little air did come through the ss hood doesnt interfer with the air coming from under air box via ram air kit. Mines sealed, never ran it without the seal, so i cant say if it really affects it at all without sealing it, but i can see where sealing it is better than not since the air coming in via ram air kit could find a way to leak back out through front perhaps. Hope that helps a little
Old 06-20-2004, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone else have thoughts about this? Also if you did seal off the front of the box and then it rains and you put the restrictor plate in the ram air system, doesn't that mean that no air is going to go in through the air system?
Old 06-21-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I sealed up my WU6 {Firehawk} something 3 years ago. Been on there for around 30K miles. Yes the filter gets wet when it rains. It hasn't hurt a thing. It will not rain hard enough to hydro-lock your engine. I've been in some pretty hard rain, so hard I actually had to pull over because of visibility and the fact that I was hydroplanning at 35mph. No problems.

Seriously, you would have to go surfing to be in water high enough to hydrolock your engine,,,,, water all the way up to your hood scoops! Use a oiled cotton filter as water doesn't seem to effect them any.

I'm pretty sure that there isn't alot of "Ram Air" effect going on but it is making sure that the engine only gets cool air. At higher speeds, the sealed airbox "may" have a small ram effect. My proof??? Ain't got none but I do get alot of splattered bugs on the front of my airbox and alot of bugs stuck to the filter!

Take a look at mine- http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/296918/5
Old 06-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Well, if you actually wanted to close off the ram air kit too, you would have to be looking to drive through puddles, i drove home in an absolute downpour about a month ago, i mean it was coming down so hard i could barely see, but had to get home in case of hail so i was still doing about 50, i got home and lifted the lid and the filter was dry to the touch, there was barely any water in the ram air scoop, it was dry towards the top of the scoop still. So unless you find a puddle the height of your grille and you hit it at a good rate of speed, youll be more than safe from water gettin in there.