Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shake, Rattle, and Roll my eyes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Shake, Rattle, and Roll my eyes...

For a couple months now, whenever I put a decent amount of load on the back end when accelerating (launching for harder acceleration and even just starting uphill from a stop) there is something hitting pretty hard under the rear of my car. I had an SLP Loudmouth system put on last summer but this just started a couple months ago. Took it to a Chevy dealer (it was my LAST resort, long story) upon which the mechanic said that it was all just really hard backfires coming through my exhaust that i was feeling I have a VERY hard time believing that though. However, I have no idea what the hell it could be. Nothing hits when I shake my exhaust system. A couple people have suggested it could be tranny mounts, but what ELSE could it possibly be so that I can take it somewhere else soon and have them check a full list of possibilities? Thanks guys.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a tranny mount issue exhibit similar characteristics. Also, check the rear end. A missing tooth or two will do this...right before it leaves you stranded.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
For a couple months now, whenever I put a decent amount of load on the back end when accelerating (launching for harder acceleration and even just starting uphill from a stop) there is something hitting pretty hard under the rear of my car. I had an SLP Loudmouth system put on last summer but this just started a couple months ago. Took it to a Chevy dealer (it was my LAST resort, long story) upon which the mechanic said that it was all just really hard backfires coming through my exhaust that i was feeling I have a VERY hard time believing that though. However, I have no idea what the hell it could be. Nothing hits when I shake my exhaust system. A couple people have suggested it could be tranny mounts, but what ELSE could it possibly be so that I can take it somewhere else soon and have them check a full list of possibilities? Thanks guys.
Hey, i had a similar problem, little while ago, and it ended up being the torque arm bolts werent tightened down, to the rearend all the way. They were just there and i tightened them up and solved the problem. Hope that helps
Old 06-25-2004, 03:24 AM
Teching In

+2 for tranny mount...my car I thought it was the rear end. Replaced the torque arms with BMR. Poly torque arm bushings...turned to be the stupid tranny mount...replaced with a 1LE mount from GM.

1998 GSM Z28