Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short duals

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short duals

Has anyone tried putting a set of mufflers right where the y pipe is instead of a y or x-pipe? Do you guys think it will affect interior sound much? will it rob hp or will it be the same as an x-pipe set up. I am going to the muffler shop tomorrow and need to know quick.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mufflers instead of the Y or X pipe?? So, you aren't thinking of what most people on this board mean by duals, you are thinking of mufflers right off the headers and nothing else? Duals work/sound best, typically, with a crossover of some type (H or X pipe). I for one am still not sure what you mean....either mufflers right off the headers or duals with no crossover and the mufflers early in the system????
Old 06-23-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JerikSS
Has anyone tried putting a set of mufflers right where the y pipe is instead of a y or x-pipe? Do you guys think it will affect interior sound much? will it rob hp or will it be the same as an x-pipe set up. I am going to the muffler shop tomorrow and need to know quick.
sorry, I meant mufflers after the headers.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you mean. Lots of drag cars have this kind of set-up, where the exhaust exits out the sides right under the doors. But, you need some sort of cross-over pipe that is used to equalize pressure. I'm not sure why it's needed though. You might be able to do something where the headers exit, about 6" of pipe, H-pipe, couple more inches of pipe, mufflers, then dumps. Could work, but that will have a ton of interior drone and vibration.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

I used to have collector inserts and about 10 inches of pipe on my hooker LTs. It's definetly loud and will resonate in your interior, especially with the windows up and ttops on. I liked the sound though, not good for conversation though. I recently switched to a x-pipe setup with bullet mufflers. It's a little more mild, and still has a nice exaust note.