Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why cant true duals exit . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why cant true duals exit . . .

why cant true duals exit before the back wheels out the side. I know that ground clearance would be an issue but it would sure look awesome. I think that it could be done. What kind of piping do you guys think? I could find a picture anywhere so i could diagram it but owell. Maybe some one could photoshop it.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they can, i saw a pic of someones car that had the exact same thing done
Old 06-23-2004, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

where did you see that pic at?
Old 06-23-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Search for side pipes. It was on a 427 camaro. I didn't really like the way it looked but the car was bad *** none the less.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Trans Am WS6 RGS custom fabbed his own side exit, i'm sure if you pm'd him he would tell you all about it. i did a search and found the post where jrp posted rene's pics. Click Here. Hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone made some Nascar style boom tubes that looked awesome and didn't take away much ground clearence. Its hard to make it look good, but give it a try and let us see it.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:42 PM
Launching!

I saw a video on www.ls1sounds.com where the guy had an SS with true duals exiting before the rear end. From what ive read from what JRP put up, true duals before the Rear can cause rattles and LOUD cab noise. I would IMO, go with true duals before the rear. Whats the price to get that fabbed by someone.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

the loud cab noise would only be present if they are dumped. If they exit out the side there would not be the vibration. Thats my take on the situation.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99SSCamaro
why cant true duals exit before the back wheels out the side. I know that ground clearance would be an issue but it would sure look awesome. I think that it could be done. What kind of piping do you guys think? I could find a picture anywhere so i could diagram it but owell. Maybe some one could photoshop it.
my camaro has that setup. hooker lt's into an X and dynomax bullets(12").
the pipes do have a pretty rough bend, im sure its loosing flow but i like the way it looks. im using 2.5in pipe, ive got dual polished tips exiting each side.
The noise does bother once in a while when youre driving the car and i think my back window is already loose from the rattling, oh,and as far as ground clearance, i have problems but not as many as i thought i would.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSideExhLS1
my camaro has that setup. hooker lt's into an X and dynomax bullets(12").
the pipes do have a pretty rough bend, im sure its loosing flow but i like the way it looks. im using 2.5in pipe, ive got dual polished tips exiting each side.
The noise does bother once in a while when youre driving the car and i think my back window is already loose from the rattling, oh,and as far as ground clearance, i have problems but not as many as i thought i would.

That would be awesome. I plan on giong with borla mufflers, dual polished tips, no cats, polished LT's, and probably an H pipe. Im in it more for the sound. Did you fab yours yourself or what? Do you have any pics from under the car? thanks
Old 06-24-2004, 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99SSCamaro
That would be awesome. I plan on giong with borla mufflers, dual polished tips, no cats, polished LT's, and probably an H pipe. Im in it more for the sound. Did you fab yours yourself or what? Do you have any pics from under the car? thanks

sorry, no pics, but i bought the X pipe and the mufflers from summit,and my tips from a local exhaust warehouse here in houston.
that summit X pipe kinda sucks, i was expecting somehting better, but i guess you get what you pay for, it was like $35, i think the part# is something like BIG-53620 although i saw one of the sponsors of this site is selling the exact same pipe for like triple the price(cant remember who).
have a good muffler shop do the job to avoid rattling.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:40 AM
On The Tree

There is a guy running around in a NBM SS in town that has side pipes and it looks like A$$. His side doors were tinted a little brown from the exhaust fumes...... maybe if it was done differently it would be better but he had 3" slash cut tips and it just looked tacky.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Do a search for Onyx LS1 and/or NataSS Inc - they're both mods here and have nice side exit setups.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

I've seen some pics of side exit setups, it didn't look too bad. Probably more quiet inside the car than turndowns under the car.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Several F-cars on the boards have side exit exhaust. I have even seen one with sidepipes... old school, honest to goodness, sidepipes, not just side exit with tips before the rear tires. Talk about looking moronic!

Anyway, I have seen the pics posted and more often than not, it looks forced (lack of a better word)... The one that truly looked good used stock Z28 tips.
My outlook is that ground clearance and subframe connectors take precidence over a cosmetic exhaust mod. Both are something you lose with side exit exhaust.
As for sound, I have had them on some gosh-awful loud cars before and this is what you get:
Less drone
LOUD with the windows down
Loud with the windows up

Sit in the 'trunk' area of your car with the hatch up, at least one ear to the rear, and have someone rev your engine... that is what you will hear with your windows down when you drive, probably only louder due to smaller mufflers and shorter pipes.
Don't get me wrong, it's fun to be at a light and the person next to you has windows down, you can annoy or startle very easily.
Driving next to concrete barrier wall is cool too, the echo of a good side exhaust is music, VERY LOUD music though. Be prepared.
If you are set on doing it, several companies make mufflers with the inlet and outlet on the same end of the muffler. You can tuck the muffler under the rear, very close to the axle, and then shoot a pipe out to the front of the tire. Spintech, Flowmaster, and some Turbo makers have mufflers like this. IMO this would be the way to go.
Good luck
Dave