Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dave04da
Thats why I went with the TSP cat back with the cut out built in. When I want it loud I'll just hit a switch.

that is what i was running, but im glad i swapped this system sounds so much better
Old 03-15-2017, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usnfenix
that is what i was running, but im glad i swapped this system sounds so much better
I'm sure. You can't beat the sound of true duals with a h or x pipe. I just don't think I have the room under the car being lowered 2 ".

Last edited by dave04da; 03-15-2017 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Photo
Old 03-16-2017, 12:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I see lowered cars complaining I get that especially if you drop two inches, I'm dropped and inch and a half and I have about three and a half inches of clearance from the lowest point. But that's a given with lowered cars we expect that.

The thing is I'm seeing people and the reason I posted video are for the people that are at stock ride height better complaining about it being too low at stock ride height. Either you're still running the shitty decarbon shocks that are about 15 years old and their way past their Prime or something or installation error I really can't say. But if I'm lowered an inch and a half and have three and a half inches of clearance from the lowest point and stock ride height people have about the same clearance yeah there's an issue.
The following users liked this post:
Z28_Demon (07-18-2019)
Old 03-16-2017, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
it seems like the lowest point is by the rear seats.
Can an exhaust shop help with this?

idk about others, buying a new exhaust only to scrape and ding on a lowered car seems like a waste to me personally.

it also depends local driving conditions , but 3-4" clearance on average is tough to live with when it comes to urban driving, driveways, speed bumps
I think if you cut the pipes that plug into the ones going over the axle , it might help. But having 3" of clearance under the x-pipe is bad because the car can beach itself easily. The main reason I could never get myself to purchase Kook's is because it's an expensive exhaust that would scrape alot on my driveway. At least now if I scrape it's only a $500 exhaust lol. I might be able to finish my exhaust next weekend, but my driveway is a real bitch so I might not make it far. Currently I have 3" of clearance under the driver's seat for my y-pipe setup and it sucks, hopefully I'm not in a worse position after installing duals.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

$2000 or $500 it should still be engineered and manufactured right and fit...if not the people selling it should step up.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

@Dave04 -- that's a clean-looking 'Hawk, Man! Nice ride!
Old 03-16-2017, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Darth_V8r you have the Kooks exhaust on your car don’t you? How much clearance do you have? Would you please take a pic and post it?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soloman369
I see lowered cars complaining I get that especially if you drop two inches, I'm dropped and inch and a half and I have about three and a half inches of clearance from the lowest point. But that's a given with lowered cars we expect that.

The thing is I'm seeing people and the reason I posted video are for the people that are at stock ride height better complaining about it being too low at stock ride height. Either you're still running the shitty decarbon shocks that are about 15 years old and their way past their Prime or something or installation error I really can't say. But if I'm lowered an inch and a half and have three and a half inches of clearance from the lowest point and stock ride height people have about the same clearance yeah there's an issue.

Im on stock height and although my clearance seems to be a bit better than most that have posted, im still not complaining about it, I knew what I was getting into when I installed it. Thing is my 98 is on stock chocks and sags a bit to the passenger side and could use shock replacement so I may even be able to get some additional height but from where it sits now I am comfortable driving it around town as is right now. Just takes a little extra mindfulness and if I rip a pipe off on some unforeseen obstacle, oh well **** happens and ill replace it.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by bbond105
Darth_V8r you have the Kooks exhaust on your car don’t you? How much clearance do you have? Would you please take a pic and post it?
No problem! I took a few so you could see it all the way down the length of the car. The Rubik's cube is a full size cube, not a little miniature cube. You can LOL at my shitty looking welds and dirty-*** under carriage all you want...

Edit - I'm not stock height. The car is raked, so the front is about a half inch low and the rear is about an inch high

Here is right under the collectors. This is actually the lowest point in the system:

Here is just before the X pipe piece:

Here is after the X and before the pipes bend up to go over the axle:

I also saw where someone noted about changing the mufflers. I cut out the kooks bullets and put in flow-bastard DBX, which knocked it down from 115dB to 95 dB. The flow-bastards were a bit longer than the kooks bullets, so I had to expand the opening of the DBX to go over the pipe so the tails wouldn't stick 3" past the bumpers. Took a pic of that as well.
Z28_Demon (07-18-2019)
Old 03-16-2017, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up 31hp and 30tq with this exhaust instead of the y pipe exhaust I had on it.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by cujo18
I picked up 31hp and 30tq with this exhaust instead of the y pipe exhaust I had on it.
I'd say that's about right. I went from 470 to 496 ditching the Y pipe for this AND doing a lighter clutch. Although, I didn't gain any torque. My peak RPM just shifted to the right by ~300 rpm. That was back when I still had the hydraulic lifters.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cujo18
Same here I gained about 36 switching from 1 3/4 and 2.5 duals to 1 7/8 and these duals. This was in a mustang dyno.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
@Dave04 -- that's a clean-looking 'Hawk, Man! Nice ride!
Thanks Darth. It looks like you have plenty of room under there. It seems the Kooks tucks up much
better.

Last edited by dave04da; 03-16-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by dave04da
Thanks Darh. It looks like you have plenty of room under there. It seems the Kooks tucks up much
better.
I'm not sure if that's because of the kit or me being **** or the rear of the car being higher up.

I left everything loose and held it up with jackstands, etc, and then after I had it where I wanted, I clamped it. I found you and slightly twist certain pipes and raise and lower the height of the X pipe. I also bent the hangars in the rear to put more tension on the rubber isolators so they pull the system upward. Only complaint I have with the way I did it, is the X will hit the body. I recently went back under there and used heater hoses and exhaust wrap for padding to get rid of that.
Z28_Demon (07-18-2019)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soloman369
Same here I gained about 36 switching from 1 3/4 and 2.5 duals to 1 7/8 and these duals. This was in a mustang dyno.
that's pretty damn good for 500 bucks!
Old 03-16-2017, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure if that's because of the kit or me being **** or the rear of the car being higher up.

I left everything loose and held it up with jackstands, etc, and then after I had it where I wanted, I clamped it. I found you and slightly twist certain pipes and raise and lower the height of the X pipe. I also bent the hangars in the rear to put more tension on the rubber isolators so they pull the system upward. Only complaint I have with the way I did it, is the X will hit the body. I recently went back under there and used heater hoses and exhaust wrap for padding to get rid of that.

Pretty much exactly what I did for the SE setup. Let it hang loose and mildly adjust other pipes to get it to settle in the way I wanted, a jackstand pressed up firmly against the x pipe section helped hold it while I adjusted the other sections for best clearance. I also padded certain areas prone to knocking against the floorboard, however with my recent replacement of the motor mounts its not too much of an issue.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Nice job! I think your right, as with any type of pipefitting you need to take your time and make all the adjustments possible to get it right.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Darth for the pics and input. It is a big help to is how the Kooks fit. Where the SE setup seems to be the lowest is in the bend up right before they go over the axle. I was just wondering if the Kooks were low there also. You can really see this when looking from behind the car.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

So i just took mine for its first test drive with me, and ive got to be honest i dont see how anybody could think this system is too loud. To me, it sounds perfect, how the car should have sounded from the factory. Then again, im a young guy who works on an airfield with jet engines all the time so my opinion could be skewed. All in all, i am very happy with this system.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

With a H/C/I car the exhaust is a lot louder.

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!