Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 04:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
U-bolt clamps look like **** and crush the pipes. Spend the extra money and get some different stainless band clamps if anybody doesn't like the kit ones.
I found they don't really crush the pipes enough to do any damage. Unless you tighten the living **** out of em.

I put a few U-bolt clamps on my speed engineering y-pipe, no issues. Yeah they're a bit uglier when under the car, but nobody's looking under there 99.999% of the time.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Genuine Torca Accuseal clamps have been used by GM, Ford, Chrysler and many other OE's for more than 15 years to successfully seal their exhaust connections. If an individual user can't get them to seal up and hold components in place, then they are using them incorrectly, as long as the slip- connector mating components they are being used on are sized correctly.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toddoky
genuine torca accuseal clamps have been used by gm, ford, chrysler and many other oe's for more than 15 years to successfully seal their exhaust connections. If an individual user can't get them to seal up and hold components in place, then they are using them incorrectly, as long as the slip- connector mating components they are being used on are sized correctly.
exactly
Old 02-02-2017, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
I have found them to work excellent. You do need to support the exhaust with good mounts. I don't like the fact that the narrower, thicker ones pinch the inner pipe. It can make disassembly a pain in the ***.
Not the case if you know how to get them apart. When you take the inside pipe and work it back and forth it will spread the flared side.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
Has anyone tried one of these with a Midwest Chassis double drop tunnel mount TQ arm setup?
http://midwestchassis.com/products/9...unt-torque-arm
Considering their double drop crossmember is designed around the Kooks TDs, I'd assume that it would work just fine with this kit as well.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. I want to get these. I have bbk headers that have the flanged y pipe that fits right on their headers. Any idea how much I'd fight to get these to fit with that? May just cut and weld the flange. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a heck of a deal with great looks/fitment.

Thanks to Soloman for the pics and vid.

Speed Eng. or others that have experience with the kit, would there be room to install a pair of small bullet cats on the front of the system? I know some consider this sacrilege, I'm considering it because I drive my car to work a lot and don't prefer to smell like fuel on the job.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by soloman369
More pics
Do the mufflers point straight out towards the bumper openings? Or do the tips have a bend in them to make them exit centered? I ask because I'd like to put single 3" tips on. Wondering if I can just put them on or would I need to create a bend to get them to come out straight.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jared Angell
Ok. I want to get these. I have bbk headers that have the flanged y pipe that fits right on their headers. Any idea how much I'd fight to get these to fit with that? May just cut and weld the flange. Any help would be appreciated.
Mating the exhaust to the BBK headers might be a bit of a pain with the flanges needing to be cut off of the header collectors and also the collectors being .5" smaller than the ID of the dual exhaust. An exhaust shop should be able to get it done for you with relative ease, but most shops now days won't touch a car without cats.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Do the mufflers point straight out towards the bumper openings? Or do the tips have a bend in them to make them exit centered? I ask because I'd like to put single 3" tips on. Wondering if I can just put them on or would I need to create a bend to get them to come out straight.
If you look at the pics on their site, and use the zoom in hover, it does appear that the tips angle inward slightly.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by zachm89
Mating the exhaust to the BBK headers might be a bit of a pain with the flanges needing to be cut off of the header collectors and also the collectors being .5" smaller than the ID of the dual exhaust. An exhaust shop should be able to get it done for you with relative ease, but most shops now days won't touch a car without cats.
I would actually cut the flange part off of the Y pipe and adapt it to the duals. That part is just a flared piece of pipe. I don't want to cut the headers.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you look at the pics on their site, and use the zoom in hover, it does appear that the tips angle inward slightly.
What he said there angled slightly inward
Old 02-02-2017, 12:51 PM
Teching In

What's the weight difference between the axle dump and rear exit kits?
Old 02-02-2017, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

I would actually cut the flange part off of the Y pipe and adapt it to the duals. That part is just a flared piece of pipe. I don't want to cut the headers.
In that case, youll need to cut the flanges off of your current y pipe, weld some 2.5"-3" expansion pieces onto the flanges, then cut off xx" from the duals kit to make it match up to the newly added expansion pieces you welded to the flanges. By the time you go through all that trouble, Id just buy a set of speed engineerings 1-7/8" headers and sell your BBK stuff as a whole and not f*ck with all the fab work. Just my .02
Old 02-02-2017, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been working on mine all week. The champs SUCK-***. I ran them up with a elec impact and they didn't hold. I have some clamps from my other system that i'll try. I had the hole system installed and held up with small jack stands and it sounded really good.
Changing plugs on these cars are a ************.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In that case, youll need to cut the flanges off of your current y pipe, weld some 2.5"-3" expansion pieces onto the flanges, then cut off xx" from the duals kit to make it match up to the newly added expansion pieces you welded to the flanges. By the time you go through all that trouble, Id just buy a set of speed engineerings 1-7/8" headers and sell your BBK stuff as a whole and not f*ck with all the fab work. Just my .02
This. I have the BBK setup and its hooked up to the new TSP catback, and last night I just said f it and bought this full system with bigger headers. If you want to try and modify the bbk's to the x pipe don't forget in addition to having to the above youll be messing with the overall length of the system and any small changes in how it sits and comes off the headers will have effects on how it looks coming out the rear and could potentially look like *** without ALOT of care and careful measuring. Your already planning on getting the system right? then just say **** it and pick up their headers for a no-mess install. that's what im doing at least and I have your same exhaust setup
Old 02-02-2017, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bet a set of XR1 mufflers would sound great as well in this system instead of the bullets.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Not the case if you know how to get them apart. When you take the inside pipe and work it back and forth it will spread the flared side.
I know exactly how to get them apart. If common sense didn't tell me that I wouldn't be successful in the business. When you throw in someone else's previous work in the equation and corrosion and bad driving and etc., many things can go wrong with any of the exhaust clamps. I simply prefer the wider clamps and have not seen failures out of them near as often as the narrower types. A lot of times there isn't a lot of room to work anything anywhere. I will say I feel they are much better than a U bolt or a redneck coat hanger weld.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
I've been working on mine all week. The champs SUCK-***. I ran them up with a elec impact and they didn't hold. I have some clamps from my other system that i'll try. I had the hole system installed and held up with small jack stands and it sounded really good.
Changing plugs on these cars are a ************.
The only plug that's even a little hard to do is the rear one on passenger side. It's a 15min job for all of them not even trying.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This will bury the kooks setup as long is fitment is decent. Wish you guys were a little faster to the party though, kooks tds came out what, 5 years ago?

Quick Reply: Speed Engineering True Dual Exhaust Kits!!