Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch Can Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Catch Can Questions

I need a vented catch can, but not sure which one I need. I need to connect the vent hose coming off the passenger side valve cover to a catch can. My TB does not have the vent tube, which is why this is needed. Which catch can do I need?
Old 02-07-2017, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Whatever you get, get a reputable one. RXSpeedworks, Elite, Mighty Mouse. Ebay ones are worthless.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll likely purchase a Mighty Mouse one. He has three different kinds. I know I need a vented one because I need fresh air going to the crank-case from the vent tube coming off the valve cover.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Your TB doesn't have the tube?

I posted a pic in your other thread. So not what you need. I have a Mike Norris catch can. It's a good one for the price. But the Might Mouse one looks excellent.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Catch can isn't going to fix this. You need to hook that line on the PS valve cover up. See your other thread. I ran into this same problem.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Catch can isn't going to fix this. You need to hook that line on the PS valve cover up. See your other thread. I ran into this same problem.
Yes, that line coming from the passenger side valve cover would normally connect to the vent tube that comes off the TB. My TB has no vent tube. Jason at WARR Performance I had three options, one of which is running a catch can with a filter. Just putting a breather filter in place of the hose sounds easiest, but no clue where I would get one:

Nathan,

There are a few options for you. You could just put a small breather filter in place of that hose, add a fitting to your intake tube between the throttle body and air filter or route it to a catch can that has a filter on it.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Yes, that line coming from the passenger side valve cover would normally connect to the vent tube that comes off the TB. My TB has no vent tube. Jason at WARR Performance I had three options, one of which is running a catch can with a filter. Just putting a breather filter in place of the hose sounds easiest, but no clue where I would get one:

Nathan,

There are a few options for you. You could just put a small breather filter in place of that hose, add a fitting to your intake tube between the throttle body and air filter or route it to a catch can that has a filter on it.
I had the breather on the PS side valve cover and my car was down in power. Felt like it was running fine but after I hooked up the PCV like it should along with a catch can I gained HUGE. Don't go the breather route. Trust me.

Here is before and after. Before having a breather on the oil cap and passenger side VC vent blocked off.<br/>After: Hooked up PCV properly along with a catch can.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you assuming caused the 24hp increase? AFR? Fuel trims different?
Old 02-07-2017, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's pretty crazy power difference. I am no longer running a pcv setup. I have tried 1 can, 2 cans, multiple routings, multiple pcv valves, multiple valley covers, all hooked up with a vented can, breathers on both covers, breather on 1 cover and all have yeilded oil coated intakes on a stock 5.7, heads / cam 5.7, and new 408.

I am now running both valve covers and valley cover to a vented catch can and blocking all tb ports. It will be interesting to see what the dyno says, but results will be off due to also upgrading heads...

Pcv and catch can setups sem to work different with all motors for some reason. Some suck no oil through, some like mine are always coated no matter what way you try.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RelentleZ
What are you assuming caused the 24hp increase? AFR? Fuel trims different?
First pull after the changes was lean down low. We added quite a bit of fuel. No tricks lol

Edit: That's also on a dyno dynamics. I'm told it reads fairly low.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I'll likely purchase a Mighty Mouse one. He has three different kinds. I know I need a vented one because I need fresh air going to the crank-case from the vent tube coming off the valve cover.
send me a pm if we aren't talking already.

Quick Reply: Catch Can Questions