Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals without x or h

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
I said this when I thought he had gone TO and over the axle exhaust. post is irrelevant now.

BUT I say this because I could let off the throttle and the gasses in the exhaust would build up much higher and would make a very large pop (sometimes quite a few pops) every single time I would blip the throttle. It no longer does it with an H pipe unless I let off from high RPM and let it coast then blip.
LMAO...still relevant. just calling out a dumb comment as I see it. there is absolutely no way you can feel back pressure in a car unless it's plugged up and killing power (clogged converters plugged up)...the H will balance the exhaust and get rid of some of those pops. it didn't make it flow any better or worse, just sounds different. outside of an extreme clog in the exhaust, backpressure can only be measured with the right tools. the tool sitting in the driver's seat doesn't count

I had a combo that ran quiet with full exhaust and only popped on decel with the cutout open...does that mean that my cutout added back pressure?
Old 02-09-2017, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
LMAO...still relevant. just calling out a dumb comment as I see it. there is absolutely no way you can feel back pressure in a car unless it's plugged up and killing power (clogged converters plugged up)...the H will balance the exhaust and get rid of some of those pops. it didn't make it flow any better or worse, just sounds different. outside of an extreme clog in the exhaust, backpressure can only be measured with the right tools. the tool sitting in the driver's seat doesn't count

I had a combo that ran quiet with full exhaust and only popped on decel with the cutout open...does that mean that my cutout added back pressure?
Back pressure is defined as anything putting resistance on the valves. So yeah you can obviously feel when an exhaust is, and is not allowing more gas to escape and less to be on the valves. Car has extremely tight bends in the exhaust that is crush bent. I absolutely noticed a difference in how the exhaust built up and rumbled out and how much less it does now.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

my last comment on the matter. Placebo effect. the whistle from my throttle body spacer made my car noticeably faster
Old 02-09-2017, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
my last comment on the matter. Placebo effect. the whistle from my throttle body spacer made my car noticeably faster
Are you suggesting this tornado doo-hicky in my intake doesn't actually produce a tornado of horsepower, torque, mpg, and sharks?? Blasphemy!!!!

Back on point regarding X vs H vs Y vs dedicated pipes.... It's mostly about sound and what fits.
Shelby Cobra with the 427 motor had dedicated side pipes.
Vipers have come with dedicated side pipes, dedicated long pipes to tail, and dedicated pipes that only join inside the center exit chamber muffler.
Corvettes have come with H pipes, X pipes, and dedicated side pipes.
Fbody with same motor and Y pipe make the same power as the corvette.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Update.....the guys saying no x or h makes for a poor sounding setup.....you couldnt be anymore right.....got a chance to take it up to 5-6000. It has like a rattle exhaust note. Under 3000 it reminds me of a stang. Used to have duals out the back with an x, same mufflers, liked it. Glad i only paid 135 for my mew setup, used same mufflers. Again no one has answered if an x pipe post mufflers will have sound/performance benefits
Old 02-14-2017, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True duals without x or h-fqgvfsc.jpg

The Muscle Truck on Roadkill has no crossovers and it sounds good to me.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorman279
Again no one has answered if an x pipe post mufflers will have sound/performance benefits
Yes it will have similar benefits. Really doesn't matter where the X or H falls in the system compared to mufflers.

Don't C6Z and C6ZR1 put an X pipe after cats? Cats hinder flow way more than mufflers.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I can tell you on my car the X pipe shifted peak rpm by 300 rpm vs open headers with 18" extension after collectors. Peak HP went from 6500 rpm to 6800 rpm. Only other change between those two dyno runs was the clutch was lighter.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like my stock ls1 sound that has no cross over right now.

Ugly but works
Old 02-20-2017, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Im forgetting about duels....even if they tuck nicely im lowered around 3/4 of an inch and my driveway has a sidewalk lip thing and im dragging the dumped tips.....imma go y pipe with a 4 inch muffler....should get an inch more clearance if i put it under the driveshaft a lil......similar to where your pass side exhaust is pictured above
Old 02-21-2017, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Just a FYI - speed engineering has great prices on new dual kits they made at very good price.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

https://www.speed-engineering.com/sh...rear-exit.html
Old 02-23-2017, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Just a FYI - speed engineering has great prices on new dual kits they made at very good price.
yea i saw them....look decent but still concerned with ground clearance. I'm still liking the 4 inch idea for 3 reasons....

1)i think i can do the same clearance if not a little more cleanse with a single 4

2)to pass pa safety inspection exhaust must go all the way out back or side exit away from vehicle in front of rear tires......mid 2000s viper style....obviously we don't do this to fbodys. any i want dumps.....so it will be easier to make a temp side exit pipe that is removable for inspection time.

3)wanna try something different. also kinda looking for as loud as possible without a cutout cause again, some shops will fail you for a cutout. technically pa law says no cutouts allowed. and figured 1 dynamax bullet will be louder than 2 dynamic bullets.

Quick Reply: True duals without x or h