Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TB bypass mod= loss of gas mileage???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TB bypass mod= loss of gas mileage???

I spoke to a so called expert and he said this mod will make your car run richer, therefore losing some gas mileage. What are your thoughts?
Old 06-24-2004, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this so-called "expert" needs to quit blowing smoke up your *** and go back to stamp collecting. Everything I have done to my car mod-wise has only helped to better my MPG so far. My gear swap hurt the highway a little, but picked up some in the city so it balanced out.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

uhm..no... the expert you talk to seems to be a little behind on how cars work
Old 06-24-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

I didn't believe him, that's why I wanted others opinions.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Your temp sensor is before the TB. It expects a certain amount of heat soak in the TB and the rest of the intake. If you make improvements after the sensor, the air charge will be cooler than it thinks it is. Cooler air is denser, so there would be more of it. Your engine might run LEAN not rich. This is very slight though. You're only talking a couple of degrees. The O2 sensors will figure it out anyway. An edit would also help, but people we're talking about a few degrees. A TB bypass isn't going to make a large difference in any direction. A tune might be SLIGHTLY helpful, but then the TB bypass is only slightly helpful to begin with. Ignore that guy, and do it if you feel like it. Just make sure that your bypass hose doesn't rub the sertentine belts.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, "experts" told me that my throttle would ice up from condensation below 50* ambient temp... 4 winters in Minnesota after the mod, it never froze. Not daily driven of course, but the couple times I drove it in -20* temps, it would have iced up in about 3.74 seconds if was ever going to ice up.
"Experts" say the mod doesn't cool anything... If it doesn't cool anything, then it doesn't warm anything. Therefore GM would have saved millions in engineering and parts to install the system on the cars to begin with... Boy, they should have known better!
Oh, it doesn't cool anything, but before the mod, touching the TB would gain me 2nd degree burns, now I can rest my hand on the TB for as long as I like. But it doesn't do anything.
Dave
Old 06-25-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He just proved that he's acually NOT an "expert".
Old 06-25-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Has this mod ever triggered an SES light for anyone?
Old 06-25-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not possible. Just look at what it does....not much of anything. This is, in my book, one of those do it or don't do it...doesn't really matter mods.

Ok, so we have 200 degree coolant that simply runs through a 1" long piece of tubing at the bottom of the TB. How much is this 200 degree water going to effect a TB that is attached to an intake manifold that is probably about the same temperature? Not much. The air coming through the TB (at about 200 MPH) is about 50-175 degrees depending on the weather and usage. Let's say, just for arguement, that the TB is 150 degrees when the bypass is done and 200 degree when it's not. Consider the size of the TB in relation to the size of the intake manifold and heads. How much can a 50 degree TB difference really make in the temperature of the air entering the combustion chanmber? I'd say practically none. ALMOST...none. Ain't much. Next to zero. Don't count on it. Immeasurable. Ok, sorry, too much coffee this morning. And do you really think that this mod will cool the TB 50 degrees? What if the coolant is 175 degrees (160 degree coolant thermostat and proper fan settings) and the intake manifold/underhood environment is 200 degrees.......Hmmm, sounds like the coolant might actually be COOLING the TB rather than heating it up!

Anyway, no, there will not be an SES light from doing this mod.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I;ve never heard of anyone getting a SES light from doing this mod. BMR sells a kit to do it, 14.95, but the alum. piece that they use to connect the 2 stock hoses site really close to the water pump pulley. I got a piece of fuel line from Advanced Auto Parts, and routed it from the radiator spout along side the a/c line past the belt track, then under the throttle body on top of the motor, and looped it around to the other pickup. Looks like it's supposed to be that way, and it's not in danger of hitting any pulleys/belt at all. I checked a few times after doing it to make sure it wasn't melting from sitting on the motor like it does under the throttle body, and it's just like it was the day I did it. If I can get a pic of it, I'll post it. You could just to it this way, and not buy the BMR kit, but that kit comes with the rubber caps for the throttle body, and the clamps. If you could find the caps, or one's that work, and the clapms that are small enough, you could do it that way for about 8 bucks. Get 4 ft of hose, I used about 3, but you may want to route it differently.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Colonel
Not possible. Just look at what it does....not much of anything. This is, in my book, one of those do it or don't do it...doesn't really matter mods.

Ok, so we have 200 degree coolant that simply runs through a 1" long piece of tubing at the bottom of the TB. How much is this 200 degree water going to effect a TB that is attached to an intake manifold that is probably about the same temperature? Not much. The air coming through the TB (at about 200 MPH) is about 50-175 degrees depending on the weather and usage. Let's say, just for arguement, that the TB is 150 degrees when the bypass is done and 200 degree when it's not. Consider the size of the TB in relation to the size of the intake manifold and heads. How much can a 50 degree TB difference really make in the temperature of the air entering the combustion chanmber? I'd say practically none. ALMOST...none. Ain't much. Next to zero. Don't count on it. Immeasurable. Ok, sorry, too much coffee this morning. And do you really think that this mod will cool the TB 50 degrees? What if the coolant is 175 degrees (160 degree coolant thermostat and proper fan settings) and the intake manifold/underhood environment is 200 degrees.......Hmmm, sounds like the coolant might actually be COOLING the TB rather than heating it up!

Anyway, no, there will not be an SES light from doing this mod.
This site is great! It's people like you who really make sense of things and are truly knowledgeable. Im guessing you haven't done this mod?
Old 06-25-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cooling down the throttle body gets me worse gas mileage? OMFG!
That guys stupid as f&^*. He has no clue.
Do it. Every little bit helps, and its cheap.
I haven't had any problems with mine and i am sure i never will.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It amazes me how many "experts" are really just idiots that like to toot their own horns...
Old 06-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I know I'm no expert, I can only tell ya what I've done or worked on, and the results, good or bad. Wish I knew 1/2 as much as some people think they know....
Old 06-25-2004, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

I had an SES light when I did it. I was probably cause by something else though, and it went away in a few minutes. It's a safe mod, as long as you don't rub any belts.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

. How much can a 50 degree TB difference really make in the temperature of the air entering the combustion chanmber? I'd say practically none. ALMOST...none. Ain't much. Next to zero. Don't count on it. Immeasurable. .
yeah? what's your point?
Old 06-25-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

"Im guessing you haven't done this mod?"

I did it on my earlier Gen III engines (I've had 6 and still have 4) but I no longer do it. People think they're cooling their TB down but if you do some real testing (and if you'll simply look at it and think about it) you'll realize that you aren't doing squat. There's nothing wrong with doing it, there's nothing wrong with not doing it. It just doesn't matter.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by skunk50
yeah? what's your point?
Hmmm, I forgot!
Old 06-25-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

"Im guessing you haven't done this mod?"

I did it on my earlier Gen III engines (I've had 6 and still have 4) but I no longer do it. People think they're cooling their TB down but if you do some real testing (and if you'll simply look at it and think about it) you'll realize that you aren't doing squat. There's nothing wrong with doing it, there's nothing wrong with not doing it. It just doesn't matter.
I asked the administrator of another popular LS1 website about this mod, and he said it's a useless mod in his opinion as well. Something about Administrators. Im going to pass on this mod.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Launching!

LOL...thats kind of like the Autozone guy saying that the car came from the factory with platinum plug and the replacement needs to be platinum or it won't work. I'm just thinking to myself "does this guy even know how a spark plug works and the difference between a plain resistor plug vs. platinum." Or another Autozone gentlemen telling that the step colder NGKs I was looking for were going to throw codes in my LS1 (when I was setting her up for da juice) and won't work. Always take info from auto part guys with a grain of salt because if they really knew there stuff they would be working in a garage making twice as much instead of being a monkey gathering parts.