Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y pipe banging/cheap fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y pipe banging/cheap fix?

Pacesetter headers w/ Offroad Y pipe.

Okay I went out and bought a rubber exhaust hanger and placed it between the Y pipe and the floorboard, and tied it with strong wire around the Y pipe. The question is will the rubber exhaust hanger melt from the constant heat? is there any danger? Any advice would be appreciated.

Here's the hanger, I cut off the metal peice, and ran the wire thru the holes.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:06 PM
Launching!

yes it will melt. Mine melted in about 3 days
Old 06-24-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A piece that thin and small will definitely melt in a very short time. Have you tried hanging onto the y to give yourself a little more clearance?
Old 06-25-2004, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
A piece that thin and small will definitely melt in a very short time. Have you tried hanging onto the y to give yourself a little more clearance?

I've spent hours trying to figure out the solution. I've taken the Y pipe off and pressed it with a Arbor press, I've mounted it on the headers on an angle down a bit. Which causes a exhaust leak at the collector and the Y. I might just have my dad weld a hanger on for me, that’s the last thing I can think off.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Hey Stavos, I have the same set up as you do and had the same banging on the floor of the y pipe. I went to auto zone and bought some high temp hose and cut a piece about 3 inches long. I then pryed the y pipe down far enough and wedged the hose inbetween it and the floor. I did this 6 months ago and it has stayed in place and has not melted.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jeffws6
Hey Stavos, I have the same set up as you do and had the same banging on the floor of the y pipe. I went to auto zone and bought some high temp hose and cut a piece about 3 inches long. I then pryed the y pipe down far enough and wedged the hose inbetween it and the floor. I did this 6 months ago and it has stayed in place and has not melted.

No sh*t?

what type of high temp hose?
Old 06-25-2004, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Ask to go behind the counter. They have many shapes and sizes off high temp hoses back there. I got radiator hose. You will find what you need. I know it sounds a bit crazy but it has definitley worked for me.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, buy some automotive hose from your local hardware store (one foot of 5/8" diameter will do), cut a piece about 2-3" long and then cut it again the long way (so you can flatten it out). Then, just JB weld it to the floor board where the Y-pipe is banging. You can use a jack with something flat to hold the piece of hose to the floor board while the JB weld dries up (should take a few hours to get hard) and then you're good to go. The only tricky part about this is getting the piece of hose to stay flat to the floor board as it will try to go back to the round shape it originally was in, but the jack and a small piece of wood should do the trick. Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have this same problem,a guy at my muffler shop said there is some "green" hose that is super high temp?? he didnt know what it is called but just said it was like heater hose but green and it would do the trick..i dont know what the hell he is talking about so if anyone else does i would like to know where to buy some..
Old 06-26-2004, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

tack weld an old valve spring to the Y. I have seen this done a bunch of times and it kills the banging.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Just an update, I still have the rubber hanger wrapped around my Y pipe and it hasn't melted off yet. Seems to be holding up very well for the last 2 months.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StavosWS6
Just an update, I still have the rubber hanger wrapped around my Y pipe and it hasn't melted off yet. Seems to be holding up very well for the last 2 months.
Any pics. I just had my exhaust shop reroute my y pipe, so it wouldn't bang on this bolt that was hanging down, but it still bangs when I lose traction. Any help with pics would be great.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Or you could get the poly motor mounts from Thunder racing, and that will keep your engine from shifting over as much on revs, enging moving, y pipe banging....

I "Plan" on doing the mount when I put my headers in...
Old 08-14-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

my pacesetter ory wasn't hitting the floor boards where i had orginally thought, after looking at it for a while, and putting hangers on the ybend and on the passenger side, i finally figured out the back end of the yp ipe would bump the torque arm. I thought to myself, damn that thing tucks up just too nicely lol. SO i just put a small cut with a sawzall in the pipe along the line of the torque arm, bend down both sides to pull the center of the pipe away from the torque arm. Then i just welded the pie looking slice in the pipe shut. not the best looking of welding jobs as it was only my 2nd maybe 3rd time ever doing it, but it hasn't bumped since...haven't really gotten on itsince though
T
Old 08-14-2004, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Cleanest Fix Possible:
Install a valve spring or similar spring in between the y-pipe and floor pan.

I tried to JBWeld one it but it feel out, I was going to weld it to the y-pipe but I have decided to go with a custom fabricated y-pipe.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I just attached a section of hose to the floor board its-self granted its not a pacesetter but works flawlessly
Old 08-14-2004, 12:05 PM

I just wedged a whole piece of hose (not cut) between the floor and pipe and screwed it to the frame and all is well. I did hear something that Mufflex came out with some simple device to fix this too.

Quick Reply: Y pipe banging/cheap fix?