Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mount bolt won't line up

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mount bolt won't line up

Hey guys I spent 8 hours today trying to line the 18 mm motor bolt up and I could only line one side up. If the driver side 18mm bolt goes then passenger side won't go in. Tried it the other passenger side in first and then driver side didn't work. Then I did the drivers side first and used a pancake jack to move the motor to the right and I could only see half the hole and the motor just wouldn't budge to the right anymore. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong? I also tried a pry bar and the pry bar would flex, but the motor would not budge!
​​​​​​​
Old 02-25-2017, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Prothane Motor Mounts PTP-7-512 this is the part number for my motor mounts please tell me these are the correct ones!!
Old 02-25-2017, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might try loosening up the the bolts that mount it to the block. Can probably get some wiggle room doing that. I had to mess around with mine for a bit when I dropped the motor in. I don't remember exactly what I did to get it to work, but I know I had to loosen some bolts.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try jacking the motor up as well. Might help?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

I'll try loosening the clam shell bolts tomorrow. I jacked the motor every which way I could and I was always just half a bolt off! What about removing the bolt on the pedestal and then stick the 18 mm bolt through the pedestal into the poly mount and then bolting the pedestal back on the k member? I'm assuming the pedestals are on bolts as I think I saw bolt on them, but I'll check tomorrow
Old 02-26-2017, 04:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SSV8
I'll try loosening the clam shell bolts tomorrow. I jacked the motor every which way I could and I was always just half a bolt off! What about removing the bolt on the pedestal and then stick the 18 mm bolt through the pedestal into the poly mount and then bolting the pedestal back on the k member? I'm assuming the pedestals are on bolts as I think I saw bolt on them, but I'll check tomorrow
Use a dremel and sharpen a point on the long motor mount bolt, it'll hammer in quite easily.

They are poly mounts, very rigid and tight for a reason.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

Just did my motor mounts the last few weekends, what a nightmare. I did the drivers side first, then the passenger side. Just getting the clamshells to bolt to the block were a nightmare, worst part of the job. To get the 18mm bolt through, i had a jack on the oil pan and the scissors jack on the block and used them at the same time. Never perfectly lined up, but got it close enough to use a ratcheting wrench to get it in somewhat then pounded it with a hammer. Nothing pretty about it, but got it in without chewing up the threads. Good luck, i would never do this job again hahaha
Old 02-27-2017, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Burken01 I sharpened the bolt and I was able to hammer it in! Your a life saver man haha. The back side didn't line up so I used a screwdriver to line it while I had someone hammer it in and it was done. Down side was I might over tighten the bolt seemed like the bolt was spinning, but the threads weren't moving I didn't move it to much just a tad bit didn't want to snap it and it's tight as hell. Didn't know what 70ft lbs was so I guessed lol
Old 02-27-2017, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

The engine mount shown in your picture is installed upside-down on the block...the other side may be as well. The step in the metal housing goes towards the bottom of the block and the flat end that you can see in your photo goes up.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

I had the same issue... I fought and fought for hours. Did some research and lots of curse words and found out I needed to flip my clamshells around. Once I did the bolts went through like butter.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Toddoky
The engine mount shown in your picture is installed upside-down on the block...the other side may be as well. The step in the metal housing goes towards the bottom of the block and the flat end that you can see in your photo goes up.
No he has it correct, the tang on the poly mount is resting on the ledge of the mount stand as it should.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

try loosening the 4 bolts holding the mount on the k member to give yourself some more wiggle room.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Burken01
No he has it correct, the tang on the poly mount is resting on the ledge of the mount stand as it should.
Yes, the orientation of the insert is correct, the cage however is upside-down. There is a kick-up to the cage geometry on one end and it goes towards the bottom side of the motor. The insert would have to be flipped inside the cage to make everything as it should be.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:20 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Also noticed - when I did this swap, I put the jack so that it was pressing directly ON THE MOUNT, not on the block. Maybe that would have helped, maybe not...
Old 03-01-2017, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brewcrew011
Just did my motor mounts the last few weekends, what a nightmare. I did the drivers side first, then the passenger side. Just getting the clamshells to bolt to the block were a nightmare, worst part of the job. To get the 18mm bolt through, i had a jack on the oil pan and the scissors jack on the block and used them at the same time. Never perfectly lined up, but got it close enough to use a ratcheting wrench to get it in somewhat then pounded it with a hammer. Nothing pretty about it, but got it in without chewing up the threads. Good luck, i would never do this job again hahaha
Having the same issue right now, car is in my garage and the clamshells will not line up and bolt to the block, any tips? I got mad at it and have left it to sit for a few days before I go back in and curse at it again.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by usnfenix
Having the same issue right now, car is in my garage and the clamshells will not line up and bolt to the block, any tips? I got mad at it and have left it to sit for a few days before I go back in and curse at it again.
Start by ensuring the cages of your mounts are oriented correctly on your motor and that the inserts are oriented correctly in the cages. As stated earlier, the end of the cages that have the steps in them go towards the bottom of the motor.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

It seemed for me, the higher i jacked the motor the easier it was to move the clamshell in the pedestal, which allowed me to move it around more and get a bolt or two started. I had my rack and pinion out and speed engineering long tube headers installed, dont know if that gave me more or less room. I will say, the passenger side seemed to have more room, drivers side took me an hour to just get the clamshell out of the car with how tight it was with the headers
Old 03-01-2017, 10:53 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by brewcrew011
It seemed for me, the higher i jacked the motor the easier it was to move the clamshell in the pedestal, which allowed me to move it around more and get a bolt or two started. I had my rack and pinion out and speed engineering long tube headers installed, dont know if that gave me more or less room. I will say, the passenger side seemed to have more room, drivers side took me an hour to just get the clamshell out of the car with how tight it was with the headers
That's why most guys do mounts while doing a header swap.

If you really want some room do a tubular K. I've said it before, its the first thing I'll do on any future build. I can literally do my mounts through the wheel wells sitting comfortably. Even makes the header swap easier. And any future oil pan removals.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Start by ensuring the cages of your mounts are oriented correctly on your motor and that the inserts are oriented correctly in the cages. As stated earlier, the end of the cages that have the steps in them go towards the bottom of the motor.
Cage? As in the clamshell itself?

It can't be installed upside down, the bolt holes will not align to the block
Old 03-02-2017, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yea no not that's not the issue here lol, I paid careful attention to orientation of the mounts.

To update from my post I am making progress on my mounts and got the drivers side installed, had to find the sweet spot on the jack to get the clamshells to line up to the block.

Quick Reply: Motor mount bolt won't line up