Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust sound questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Exhaust sound questions

My car right now is Speed Engineering 1 3/4 headers, ory and the stock SLP Dual/Dual that came on my car. I love the sound but I want more of it but I am also thinking about adding cats to the car to cut down on the smell. What exhaust has the same smooth note overall with the higher pitched note that this exhaust does in the upper rpms?

I am considering a change to the 1 7/8 headers and possibly their true dual setup out the back but I know it'll sound different than what I want. Any other suggestions? I have listened to literally every catback I know that exists for these cars and none have the sound I am looking for.

Also, would wrapping the new headers with header wrap reduce the normal sounds headers make? I know its a product of the metal being thinner than the factory manifolds it just sounds sort of annoying to me while driving.

Last edited by 1bdbrd; 03-04-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you like the way the car sounds now and just want more of it then why dont you just add a cutout?
Also beware, adding cats, even high flow ones, will significantly change the volume and sound of the car. I was in the same boat as you wanting to get rid of the gas smell and added high flow cats and they worked but im not real happy with the sound.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

The thought crossed my mind and I even have a cutout I could have welded in. But its just not the type of sound I am looking for. A guy that lives in my neighborhood has a c6 with some longtubes and catback. Not sure what it is but its the exact sound I want. I know I will never get that sound because of the vast difference in exhaust setups but I was hoping maybe there was a new catback out or I had overlooked one.

Quick Reply: Exhaust sound questions