Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric cutout question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric cutout question

Hello guys,
I have a QTP eletric cutout on my camaro. Now I was wondering if anyone has switched out the toggle switch with a push button switch? I am not a fan of the toggle switch of this QTP since you have to count 6 seconds everytime you close or open it. Reason for counting because i hear guys burn up the motor on the cutout holding switch to long. On a television show (car show) they added a eletric cutout to a charger and they had 2 cutouts on the car and had a push button that lite up to open and close it. How would I go abouts doing this? Is it possible? I know QTP has a wireless remote you can buy but I just want to go this route instead if I can. Here is a push button I found that I believe would work. Thanks guys

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...6NgBoCJc_w_wcB
Old 03-06-2017, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I got a convertible roof open/close button and switch panel for a 02 camaro and used that for my cutout for a factory look and lights up with the rest of my dash.Mounted in the factory pocket infront of the shifter. But still that button you are looking at isnt going to solve the issue of opening or closing the cutout too long.You would need a timer/limiter of some sort if you want a proper timed output to the cutout. Using a momentary/latching switch with a timer of some sort gives you the ability to one touch press to open/close..or press and hold to manually open/close in any position you want.

Very much like adding a one touch express power window module to an existing power window switch.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My opinion; Take that **** and throw it in the garbage. Get a manual one with studs welded to the flange and use wing nuts. Takes all of 30 seconds to take off and put back on. I went through two motors with my qtp.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I only open or close mine when the car is off and you can hear the motor reach full travel. I have had qtp on three cars and haven't had one issue. I'll keep the convenience even if I do end up having to work on it here and there. Just my .02
Old 03-07-2017, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Ok cool thank you for the good info! Now is your switch on a timer? Trying to think of how your set up looks.

Originally Posted by Redbull87
I got a convertible roof open/close button and switch panel for a 02 camaro and used that for my cutout for a factory look and lights up with the rest of my dash.Mounted in the factory pocket infront of the shifter. But still that button you are looking at isnt going to solve the issue of opening or closing the cutout too long.You would need a timer/limiter of some sort if you want a proper timed output to the cutout. Using a momentary/latching switch with a timer of some sort gives you the ability to one touch press to open/close..or press and hold to manually open/close in any position you want.

Very much like adding a one touch express power window module to an existing power window switch.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blk00ss
My opinion; Take that **** and throw it in the garbage. Get a manual one with studs welded to the flange and use wing nuts. Takes all of 30 seconds to take off and put back on. I went through two motors with my qtp.
Well I can't just throw it away since it's fairly new lol I like the convince of being able to shut it if I pass a cop so I don't get lite up and a ticket. If motor goes bad I'll switch out
Old 03-07-2017, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Yea I've done that a couple of times. I would just like to be able to push a button and it open and close instead of just sitting there waiting for it to fully open and close. Kinda being lazy here lol

Originally Posted by codyvette
I only open or close mine when the car is off and you can hear the motor reach full travel. I have had qtp on three cars and haven't had one issue. I'll keep the convenience even if I do end up having to work on it here and there. Just my .02
Old 03-11-2017, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Any on-off-on switch you want, and wire it in a reverse rest on ground circuit with two relays. Easy as pie.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Any on-off-on switch you want, and wire it in a reverse rest on ground circuit with two relays. Easy as pie.
do you have some sort of wire diagram?
Old 03-11-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Very common circuit, google it
Old 03-12-2017, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I used to have mine on a timer as I mentioned I had a spare express window module..so i just used it on my cutout lol.Its easy to install..and yes you can do it with relays alone..I just didnt need to.

I removed the module awhile back when I was testing for a battery drain issue and havent bothered to put it back in..though I plan on doing so and tying it into my alarm with my existing window module to open and close by remote.

Aside from that Ive had my cutout for 2yrs...I spray some wd on it every other month..make sure things are still tight and its been fine.

Quick Reply: Electric cutout question