Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to clean an LS6 intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best way to clean an LS6 intake

I have an LS6 intake I'm going to be installing on my car, want to clean it up before I install it, as you can see in the pic, I want to get rid of that "orange" film or whatever that is before I install, thanks.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Cleaning solution and a brush, then air hose it out?
Old 03-19-2017, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put it in a sink with warm water and dawn dish soap since it cuts through the oil and washed it out multiple times
Old 03-23-2017, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
I just put it in a sink with warm water and dawn dish soap since it cuts through the oil and washed it out multiple times
Well to clean one really good takes a little time . Dawn liquid dish soap is not bad , but I would not do it in my sink. The best household cleaner for this job is Pinesol any flavor will work , get a plastic storage bin big enough fill at least 4-5" pine-sol straight or cut 50/50 with water let soak and flip. Wipe down rinse .May want to get some nylon brushes , Q-tips and other tools, to get into crevices and corners they the worst areas to clean. I prefer Pine-sol over simple green , purple power or any of the automotive degreasers. One fun quick and easy method is take it to the car wash, select engine degreaser or tire cleaner and spray away. Pine-sol will not stain or damage Nylon 66 or the rubber gaskets.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

I also use multiple engine cleaning brushes bent into different shapes. I haven't tried the pine sol, but I do like the smell.

I use my sink because I don't have a wife that won't let me plus it's a basement big utility washtub that I wash stuff in all the time, but I do use the kitchen one sometimes lol. I can even put parts on the kitchen sink, dining room table, office, even have headers stored in a spare bathroom.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
I also use multiple engine cleaning brushes bent into different shapes. I haven't tried the pine sol, but I do like the smell.

I use my sink because I don't have a wife that won't let me plus it's a basement big utility washtub that I wash stuff in all the time, but I do use the kitchen one sometimes lol. I can even put parts on the kitchen sink, dining room table, office, even have headers stored in a spare bathroom.
Put my transmission together on my living room floor lol
The sink is absolutely open game for parts washing.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

^ Thats awesome I mostly work in my basement during winter but I do have a spare rear hatch in my bedroom and in a few weeks I will have a stock hood in there along with a new sail panel in a desk. Parts are everywhere lol.

I have heard of people using brake clean, but I would advise against that when it comes to a fast intake. Definitely need to pay attention to some soaps due to leaving residue behind especially if you decide to paint.

I don't like the factory foam under these intakes since they are open cell and hold water which rusts coolant tubes. I prefer the closed cell

Quick Reply: best way to clean an LS6 intake