Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP LT's With Catted Y, Best Catback For It??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 02:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question QTP LT's With Catted Y, Best Catback For It??

I have a LM with Qtp Lts and catted y, and while its loud and all, that doent bother me, its more of the unrefined noise it creates. Im sure most of you know what im talking about. My question is, whats a good cat back to switch to for the LT's and catted y i have, i was reading some good things about the hooker cat back. How loud is it at idle, wot etc... If you have some other suggestions, let me know roughly how loud it is in all situations. i want something thats gonna have a muffler preferably so it can get a good nice deep tone to it. But yeah, anyways, let the suggestions fly, Im thinking of gettin a new one to remedy the sound its creating right now, cause i dont know if i can trust just getting a dynomax bullet or borla xr-1 in place of resonator, figured for price of borla, i could spend a bit more and have a hooker cat back and be done with it. But, please feel free to add your opinions and other suggestions. Thanks alot as always.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:20 AM
12 Second Club

buy a muffler in place of the Resonator...otherwise iw would give it up for GMMG as a catback...but fabricating a true dual system would work just as nicely....

for the replacing resonator youc an use jsut bout any mufffler not just the XR-1 you can look into almost any universal muffler....such as Magnaflow or other Dynomax.....its a matter if you want straight through or what.....

deep tone would give it to Hooker...i havent heard boad bout the SLP DUal Dual...theres alwasys GMMG for the price tho....chambered mufflers

many would probably agree with much of that
you decide performance or sound which matters more...if its sound you can look into cutouts as well for thde performance you may loose....for instanc with flowmaster....they dont flow grat....get a cutout b4 the muffler(s) walla no muffler needed for the performer jsut all sound

just my $.02

btw im going with a GMMG setupw wiht a cutout on the I pipe so that when i get LT's ill have performance and sound...i dont care bout the price i got low miles and such on my LM its in great condition im jsut gonna sell it to my buddy who getting a Camaro out here...he loves my exhaust setup lol i like GMMG more so yeah it wolrkds out
Old 06-26-2004, 03:04 AM
dug
Banned

Id keep the lm and buy a round borla 5" muffler with 3.5" i/o with a 3.5" to 3" reducer after the muffler into the lm. That will give you the best flow. You said you like it loud. With cats it should be reasonable.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Hooker catback.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't say it enough, GMMG. With the money already invested in the QTP's why would anyone want to start worrying about money for the catback side. That's like getting a sandwich at a steak dinner. There is a reason all the tuner cars come with this setup.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ram-it
Can't say it enough, GMMG. With the money already invested in the QTP's why would anyone want to start worrying about money for the catback side. That's like getting a sandwich at a steak dinner. There is a reason all the tuner cars come with this setup.
does the gmmg have any of the LM qualities like being almost too loud and sounding "undefined". or does it actually sound like a mufflered exhaust only louder with a nice tone?
Old 06-26-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's more refined than the LM, not AS loud and harkens back to the 69 Z28 days. Try the GMMG site for a listen and here:

http://www.ls1sounds.com/
Old 06-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Launching!

ive been going through those this morning actually, its so hard to tell through sound files still, im not hearing any of that outta control sound that the lm gives with lt's. Does your setup keep a nice consistent tone through the rpms? im guessing what makes this one sound better with long tubes is the dual chambers, one for each of the exits.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

At idle and normal driving including hwy it's very civil but people know your there. At WOT to 6k rpm would my Earnhardt proud. The best damn sound I have ever heard including my ZR1 at 7k rpm.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:15 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have QTP's and a LM, sounds fine. I'd just go with that, I doubt that you'll be dissappointed. Be ready for a little refabrication on that y pipe though.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ram-it

If you're going top of the line then stay top of the line. I have Kook's, catted y and GMMG. I still haven't found an exhaust set up that sounds better IMO. It'll sound the same with any one of the 3 top headers. (Kook's, QTP, FLP) I think there may even still be a GP going on. Check the For Sale/Group Purchase sections.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gettinthere

If you're going top of the line then stay top of the line. I have Kook's, catted y and GMMG. I still haven't found an exhaust set up that sounds better IMO. It'll sound the same with any one of the 3 top headers. (Kook's, QTP, FLP) I think there may even still be a GP going on. Check the For Sale/Group Purchase sections.
LT/Cats/GMMG is unbeatable sound wise. Hooker is a close second, IMO. The GP was made official today, 27 orders have been placed . By the way, it does go til the 15th of July.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 16nrollininaws6
LT/Cats/GMMG is unbeatable sound wise. Hooker is a close second, IMO. The GP was made official today, 27 orders have been placed . By the way, it does go til the 15th of July.
I agree with you on all points. LT's/CATS/GMMG is the best sounding setup, I have the Hooker catback which sounds almost as good.