Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST 102 Stock LS1

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by john stewart
Just pulled the trigger on a fast 102 , going to do a back to back dyno test on full bolton ls1. Ls6 vs ported fast 102, same everything tb injectors and same day.
Wont be for a few months as the car is still in storage and needs some work.
Can a LS6 intake be ported with good results,or is that some thing thats not done?
Old 03-28-2017, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There isn't much to be gained with porting the ls6. Some people have had a little success opening of the mouth to a 90 or 92mm opening. But at that point I would just step up to a fast
Old 03-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Jake, the cam will give you way more power for the money but it truly depends on what you plan to do with your car.

Last year I put a TSP Torquer V4 in my car and couldn't be happier, it was the first mod I did to my Camaro. (it already had LT headers, 3" magnaflow exhaust, and high flo cats when I bought it)

Last Friday I talked with Derek from TSP to place an order for an intake manifold, TB, and gears.
I asked him which intake I should go with, the FAST 92mm or 102mm? He told me it depends, The 102mm is harder to tune, and will be a little more sluggish down low in the power.. He also said the 102mm is great if you are going with forced induction, and the other thing about the 102mm is clearance issues.. you will need to go with an LS2 water pump.

So it truly depends on your plans with the car, forced induction or not? and keep in mind the quirks with the 102mm. Good luck man!
Old 03-29-2017, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You dont need the LS2 waterpump if you stay with any other TB smaller then the 102mm.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, alright thank you for the correction.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You dont need the LS2 waterpump if you stay with any other TB smaller then the 102mm.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll chime in on this topic but trust me I'm no expert, but I think the 102s have a place when the whole package gets over the mild to more wild side of builds. I have been wrestling with my FAST 102mm throttle body for sometime and with countless tuners with increased success but not nailed 100% yet. Kinda seems like it's a hit and miss on people that have good success with FAST 102s. Everyone has pretty much said your cold start and low airflow issues are just the nature of the beast but I'm going to give either the NW 102 a shot or the Holley 105mm a shot and have been thinking about switching my FAST 60# injectors also for something from either Injector Dynamics or Fuel Injector Connection and see how it responds with these changes.

Might end up with just a lighter wallet but my curiosity is really interested in out the outcome could be.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FAST intakes are definately a giant pain in the *** for drivability. I have been back to my tuner 3 times for adjustments, all of which i blame on the FAST tb. After i switched to a nick williams its near perfect, my FAST tb was ****.

I would personally put it on along with a cam at the same time. Definately would not put it on by itself, its just not worth a $500 tune for a FAST intake only. Dont forget to make the most out of the FAST you need the bigger lid, bellows, maf and new wiring harness.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:44 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I have several friends who run the fast102 on stock internal, bolt ons cars and they like them. For the most part, the fast tb seems to have WC issues. One friend had to epoxy around the blade to close it up and drilled out his IAC to 3/8". But they all made good power and did well at the track.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
FAST intakes are definately a giant pain in the *** for drivability. I have been back to my tuner 3 times for adjustments, all of which i blame on the FAST tb. After i switched to a nick williams its near perfect, my FAST tb was ****.

I would personally put it on along with a cam at the same time. Definately would not put it on by itself, its just not worth a $500 tune for a FAST intake only. Dont forget to make the most out of the FAST you need the bigger lid, bellows, maf and new wiring harness.
How does that relate to the Intake when your TB was the problem? Or did you mean to say Fast TB's?
Old 03-30-2017, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
How does that relate to the Intake when your TB was the problem? Or did you mean to say Fast TB's?
Yeah I meant the TB specifically. The IAC port in the NW tb is bigger than the fast. Cured my idle hang problem completely.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
The cam could make 50-60rwhp more right now. The FAST will add 10. And maybe 20 with the cam AND heads.

So if I were starting to mod my car over, the FAST is the last thing I'd ever put on the car.

If I had a FAST in my possession and didn't want to spend more right now to go faster, the cam is the better bang for the buck. Even $3000 heads won't do as much as a decent sized cam....
This....I can't understand why people spend $1k on a 102mm fast intake and throttlebody when turbo kits cost $2k now. Congrats on that 15hp....the next guy is adding 150 hp with a turbo at 5psi.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Preference really.

A turbo setup will nickle and dime you to death and I've yet to be around one that wasn't high maintenance in some way.

Also for autox, backroad cruising, and road course type driving the power band and off/on throttle response is not something I would want to deal with.

They're great at what they do though but not the answer to every vehicle.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You will see gains even on a stock motor, and even more once you start modding...id run either a 92/102 mm TB and a 85/100 maf if you plan on tuning it also.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
This....I can't understand why people spend $1k on a 102mm fast intake and throttlebody when turbo kits cost $2k now. Congrats on that 15hp....the next guy is adding 150 hp with a turbo at 5psi.
Because not everyone wants to go turbo, and im not sure what kit your talking about but I spent almost $1500 on a turbo and bov alone in a old Fbody build.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Preference really.

A turbo setup will nickle and dime you to death and I've yet to be around one that wasn't high maintenance in some way.

Also for autox, backroad cruising, and road course type driving the power band and off/on throttle response is not something I would want to deal with.

They're great at what they do though but not the answer to every vehicle.
you've been around setups from people who didn't know what they were doing or didnt spend the time to design it right. My TA was nothing but oil and spark plugs over the better part of 8 years
Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Because not everyone wants to go turbo, and im not sure what kit your talking about but I spent almost $1500 on a turbo and bov alone in a old Fbody build.
OLD being your key word. I assume you missed the massive Huronspeed kit that was 2k right? A 400 turbo and 100 waste gate and you have a full kit. They're all over the place now. Not WANTING to go FI is simply not wanting a higher hp, better driving setup in a streetcar. You don't need hogged out heads that cost 2000 and large overlap cams and spend 10k to make 500hp anymore.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

you've been around setups from people who didn't know what they were doing or didnt spend the time to design it right. My TA was nothing but oil and spark plugs over the better part of 8 years

OLD being your key word. I assume you missed the massive Huronspeed kit that was 2k right? A 400 turbo and 100 waste gate and you have a full kit. They're all over the place now. Not WANTING to go FI is simply not wanting a higher hp, better driving setup in a streetcar. You don't need hogged out heads that cost 2000 and large overlap cams and spend 10k to make 500hp anymore.
Thats your opinion and old as in 2 years ago. I would never just throw a turbo on a stock motor. I would do it right w/ at least forged pistons, a turbo cam and a decent set of heads. Its maximizes the setup just like it would na along w/ the motor being able to handle more boost. 2k sounds like a lot of chinese/ebay junk. Btw my heads and cam setup cost nowhere near 10 including parts & labor.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Thats your opinion and old as in 2 years ago. I would never just throw a turbo on a stock motor. I would do it right w/ at least forged pistons, a turbo cam and a decent set of heads. Its maximizes the setup just like it would na along w/ the motor being able to handle more boost. 2k sounds like a lot of chinese/ebay junk. Btw my heads and cam setup cost nowhere near 10 including parts & labor.
Thanks for proving your ignorance with the "I would never throw a turbo on a stock motor" comment. You do realize tons of people are currently doing it and a stock motor 76mm turbo would wax your heads cam setup right? You obviously haven't done the research other than a cursory glance or know someone who blew something up. 500hp is old news. I've had multiple NA setups, wet and dry n20, turbo, and now a blower setup. You can't touch the hp/$ of forced induction plus drivability.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a Mamo 102 with a Nick Williams TB that Redbird put on my car with a LS1 EWP. He had to shave the pump to clear. Car was a PITA to tune even with Formato doing it and is still not 100 percent right but at WOT runs strong. I was dumb and ran a LS6 intake for years. If I did it over I would have ran the big maf,tb etc right off the bat. Do it right once.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:26 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks for proving your ignorance with the "I would never throw a turbo on a stock motor" comment. You do realize tons of people are currently doing it and a stock motor 76mm turbo would wax your heads cam setup right? You obviously haven't done the research other than a cursory glance or know someone who blew something up. 500hp is old news. I've had multiple NA setups, wet and dry n20, turbo, and now a blower setup. You can't touch the hp/$ of forced induction plus drivability.
There's a reason the most active thread on the forum is FI now. Everyone getting into these cars or swapping them into everything and what do they do? Turbo.

The Gen III platform isn't as awesome as the Gen IV... but you know what people do? And what I recommend to people? Sell you stock motor. Grab an L33 5.3L from an 05-06 truck... since it's aluminum Gen III block with Gen IV internals. Throw a 76mm turbo on it. And make 800rwhp reliably.

Oh and it drives like a stock truck motor. With 800rwhp.

I have a thread where I talk through the options... 408+nitrous, D1+H/C, or a 5.3L+Turbo. The 5.3L+Turbo will run the hardest and make the most power. And drive the best. And it costs the least.

And the on/off nature of turbos... look at the options now. How you can set the exhaust housing, exducer, etc. You can make them spool like a madman. The added costs from turbos are the fuel system and drivetrain.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Trade the Fast 102 for a Fast 92 and get a Warr 92 Throttle body.

Quick Reply: FAST 102 Stock LS1