Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's using the 90mm fast and 90mm TB??

Old 06-27-2004, 06:48 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default who's using the 90mm fast and 90mm TB??

any pro's or cons?? would u do it again?
Old 06-29-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone has to be by now...
Old 06-29-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am but on a 427 so.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by pdd
any pro's or cons?? would u do it again?
I just installed my FAST 90mm intake/90mm throtle body combo last week..Install was as easy as the Z06 intake was with no issue's..Car started up and after it relearned its idle its been good since...

I havn't had the problems with the blade sticking as others had....Throtle response is great much better then the 78mm Z06 intake and throtle body and around town driving is great..

We are headed out to Evadale Texas Saturday night for their 4th of July race so we'll see how it performs then..

Would I do it again..Yes
Old 06-30-2004, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

I love mine. I got one of their very first 90mm TB's and intakes. I had some minor issues with mine but yes I'm happy now and would do it again. In the world of speed parts there is almost always some minor "massaging" required.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

The TPIS 90mm TB and Fast 90mm intake is no different...once you work out the bugs its awesome. Trim throttle cam..add additional return spring...etc...
I would do it again.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:23 AM
9 Second Club

I just put it on my 427 Solid roller and picked up 20RWHP through a TH400.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

When you say you had minor issues, what were they? I am installing it right now. I cannot get the intake to line up to the throttle body. Is there a peice that I am missing. All that thunder shipped me was a bag full of screws with one o ring gasket. Is there another piece? Also how did you get your 90mm tb to fit the 78mm maf/lid?
Old 08-08-2004, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
When you say you had minor issues, what were they? I am installing it right now. I cannot get the intake to line up to the throttle body. Is there a peice that I am missing. All that thunder shipped me was a bag full of screws with one o ring gasket. Is there another piece? Also how did you get your 90mm tb to fit the 78mm maf/lid?
Here are some problems I had:

1. The tiny bearing that is on the TB shaft on the TPS side of the TB was working it way out of it's hole. There is about a 1/4" gap between the back of the TPS and that bearing. So, basicly there is nothing to hold that bearing securely in place. When the bearing would work it's way out of it's slot it would cause "slop" in the TB shaft resulting in a slight binding or sticking open(only at idle) of the TB butterfly. Brian Tooley at TEA took a small center punch and peened the edges of the TB around the small bearing to hold it securely in place. No biggie. You can't see it because the TPS covers the bearing and all. I believe that has been my major problem all along.

2. There are two holes on the throttle cable cam for the cable to fit into. I had mine ('98) in the lower hole. But this hole on my car resulted in almost zero free play in the cable which could, theoretically ,cause the TB butterfly to not close completely. I mean it was super close to not closing all the way.
So, I put the cable in the upper hole but I had to do some slight "sizing" of the cam hole and the cylindrical cable end to get it to fit properly. Now plenty of slack, no probs.

3. The throttle cable cam is secured to the TB shaft with an allen head set screw. During one of my "high idling" episodes, I popped my hood and checked the TB and noticed the The cam was slipping slightly on the TB shaft. I imagine that this was due to the TB butterfly sticking and then the spring tugging on the cam to pull it to it's stop.
So my recommendation would be to take the allen screw out. Mark the shaft through the hole. Remove the cam. Drill a tiny indention for the allen screw to set it. And reinstall everything. Of course if nothing is binding this most likely would not be necessary.

I would recommend checking everything for binding and no slop in the TB shaft. If there is any slop fix that and insure NO binding. Then get the car idling normally at normal operating temp and check your IAC counts with a scan tool or Autotap. They should be around 40. If not try adjusting the set screw that holds the TB butterfly open till you get in that range. You must watch your TPS sensor on the scan tool also to insure you haven't moved the TB butterfly too much. The TPIS reading should show "0" at idle during this process. If the TPIS reading goes above "0" then your computer is reading "acceleration".
If your IAC counts are still way high you will have to drill a small hole in the TB blade; on the top half of the TB blade slightly to the right, nearly in line with the IAC hole in the TB, but not exactly in line with it. After you get the IAC counts where you need them then tune it through the computer.

The FAST 90mmTB will fit the FAST 90mm intake with no problem. There is an area at the top where it looks like they don't line up quite right, but it works fine. Should be five bolts and nuts that mate the TB to the intake.

I have an 85mm MAF but I had to look all over for an adapter hose. They're called "transitions". Hose Techniques and Baker Precision Hose should carry the size you need. You'll need to measure the TB and MAF opening in inches. They usually don't carry metric size hose.

Good Luck

Last edited by Dustin Butts; 08-08-2004 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:29 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do u guys think its worth RWHP on my H/C car?
I shift at 6500 and only run a 224-580 cam,but the car is setup for drag racing.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JS
Do u guys think its worth RWHP on my H/C car?
I shift at 6500 and only run a 224-580 cam,but the car is setup for drag racing.
Hard to say JS...I haven't personally seen anyone try one and dyno on a H/C stock cube car as of yet. I would say you would pick up at least a few, like maybe 10rwhp. However; if you're planning on stepping up to a bigger motor anytime soon then you would be ready.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:45 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd do it for 10 to 12RW as long as it was from 4K on.....

Search this Thread