Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how loud will it be

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how loud will it be

I currently have stock exhaust with SLP Lounmouth.

I'm going with mid length Mac Headers soon.How loud will my T/A be with Mac mid length headers w/Loudmouth.Will it be louder inside the car or just outside.Will it help with the drone I get at 1800-2000 RPMS.

Opinions please.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

cats or no cats?

its going to be 100% louder both inside and outside the car
Old 07-02-2004, 11:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yah it really depends on if your running cats or not LM's with no cats is obnoxiously loud usually too loud for even the owner.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

It will be loud as hell, it's basically open headers. Think about getting a muffler and catted Y.

Cats help bring down the overall volume a lot, and so does the right muffler.

My setup is Macs through a catted 3" Y (CarSound cats) into a factory muffler. I have a 3" electric cutout in the Ypipe to open the exhaust up.

With the factory manifolds and Y (which I have back on now temporarily) it's a LOT quieter even with the cutout open. It probably reduced the overall loudness by about 30% (and the performance along with it, heh).

My setup is very tolerable even on highway trips when the cutout is closed.

Bad30th
Old 07-02-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Y pipe and cats come with the headers as a set,so I will be running cats.Even with cats will it be intolerable.I may have to get a Dynomax or another type of muffler before the install.

I don't care if it's loud outside the car because I race old school cars that are running flowmasters and my LS1 sounds wimpy next to them.I am concerned about the noise level inside the car.

How will it sound through the cats?
Old 07-02-2004, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

It won't be intolerable with the cats. It will however be lots louder than your current stock exhaust.

Try it out with the Loudmouth and see if it's too loud for your taste.

If it gets on your nerves after a while (it probably won't at first, you'll have an ear-to-ear grin for a while) then think about a Dynomax.

Edit - the Mac cats suck, they flow worse than the stock cats. Ditch them asap and get some CarSound 3" cats. You will still get a big improvement over stock with their headers/cattedY but their cats are a restriction. Do a search for catalytic converter flow rates in the External Engine section.

Good luck !
Bad30th
Old 07-02-2004, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

I have the exact setup you are talking about except without cats. The MAC cats suck. My exhaust is EXTREMELY loud. If you're behind the car when i rev it, it will hurt your ears- no joke (like serious pain). The drone decreased somewhat although i didn't think the drone was that bad to begin with. To make a comparison, my exhaust is pretty much the same as a cutout (with headers and no cats), just not as deep with more tone.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

m_donze

Good,I can't wait to hear it,I want loud.I want to be able to hear my engine when I race and not the guy next to me.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Im about to install my slp longtubes with a random tech y pipe w/high flow cats. currently i wacked of my exhaust from the cat back and threw on a 3" inch pipe that goes into 3" chrome tips, r after the header install w/ypipe can i expect it to scream obnoxiously?