Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ground clearance issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ground clearance issues

I got a quote from a local exhaust shop for installing true duels. the quote was 190 with installing reducers, pipe, and me providing the mufflers. Very good price. He said that people with bullets only have about 2" of ground clearance. Thats not very much at all. My question is what is the norm for ground clearance with true duels?
Old 07-02-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

anyone? is 2" about normal?
Old 07-02-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm lowered 1.5" with bullets and have more than 2" clearance. I'm not driving over speed bumps at 20 mph but have plenty of clearance for most driving situations.Name:  SS_001.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  43.0 KB

Last edited by strippedSS; 07-02-2004 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Teching In

I'm lowered 1.5" also and no clearance problems yet. The lowest point is the turn-downs which are between the rear wheels, so when I go over speed bumps they go up with the rearend. Go for it man, it is so worth the sound!
Old 07-02-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

seriously dude, i have 2.5 inch pipes with bullets, the exhaust shot did an AWFUL JOB yet i still have pretty good ground clearance, only place i have any issue is the grocery store which they have mountainous speed bumps that i just drive around the parking lot, and where my girlfriend lives she has 1/10th of a mile of shitty *** gravel road infront of her house. pot holes and what have you. im in the process of cleaning everything up (moving around the X and tightening the bullets up higher) just keep some dummy tips and you'll be happy
Old 07-02-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

thats what im worried about, he acted like they do alot, but only 2" of clearance with bullets dosent seem like very much, so im afraid they do a shitty job
Old 07-03-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

we have low cars as is. basically you will see that i fyou place a beer can on its side, you can fit maybe a finger above it between the pipe and the beer can. thats aboutas much clearance as you can gain if lowered more than 1.5 inches. IF you can hang around while they do it, go to www.ls1sounds.com and print out some color pictures of dumped duals that you can find in the tips and pics section on ls1sounds.com. take that to them and go over it with them. its your car, and its going to be a custom job.. not so much considering you already have the duals on jus tneed to add a muffler before teh axle, but since its a custom job be involved as much as they will let you. and if they wont let you, take the car elsewhere.