Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil and Spark Plug Change

Old 07-02-2004, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil and Spark Plug Change

Okay first let me note that I worked as a mechanic years ago. Before Synthetics and before 93+ Camaros. Damn I am old..

Anyways, I am not sure if the previous owner used Synthetic or normal oil. I have heard that switching to Synth can cause oil leaks and such. Is there any way to tell what had been used? Or am I safe to use a quality standard oil, as long as I keep it changed regularly? If it is best to use a non-synth oil, what brand is advised?

Question 2: I would like to change the spark plugs at this time also. I've read about some people drilling a hole in the wheel well. I would rather not go this route. Are there any good tutorials, with pics perhaps, that detail changing the plugs. Additionally, what plugs would be recommended?

Back in my day K&N's were the thing to do as far as air filters go. I dont subscribe to the theory it would gain any hp, but do they not filter out contaminents better than conventional filters? Again, recommendations?

Any other PM items I missed please let me know. FYI it is a 2001 Z28 Automatic with 84k miles. The car seems to be well taken care of, but I want to establish a base to go from as far as PM'ing the vehicle.

Thanks..
Greg
Old 07-02-2004, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most people here like NGK spark plugs. As far as changing them, the driver's side are a piece of cake, but the #8 on the passenger side is a different story. Your best bet is to remove the coil packs on that side or to take it out from underneath your car. About the air filter....most here will recommend a Fram filter.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

Which NGK's? I have heard the TR55 coppers. I think the LS1 comes with plats which NGK makes also. What about the new Iridiums?

Any suggestions on how to handle the oil situation?
Old 07-03-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

NGK Iridiums will be fine & should last longer than copper TR55's which are also good plugs. Switching to synthetic oil should not cause any problems. 10w-30 would be just the ticket for you in Florida. I have always used the Fram air filters in my 2 LS1 engined cars.

Les
Old 07-03-2004, 09:00 AM
PCG
Staging Lane

I am also in florida and just switched to Castrol Syntech 0w30, no complaints so far. I also got way better oil pressure, which is always good.

For the Oil Filter I chose Mobil 1 M1-206 (It fits, its just a little longer so it holds more oil and flows better than the M1-106)

As far as Air Filters you can't go wrong with K&N, I would think most of the people on this board would agree.

Also the following link is from install university where the rated the Oil Filters they thought were best.

http://installuniversity.com/install...oil_change.htm
Old 07-03-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I changed my plugs just this week, They were pretty simple till I got to the #8. I couldnt get the thing to break loose from on top. I ended breaking my swivle extention instead. It looks like it would be easier to pull the plug from underneth the car. Just be prepaired for some sore and scratched up hands when you finish.

I used NGK TR-55s in my car with MSD wires, they are working great so far
Old 07-03-2004, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the input guys.. I hit DAP this weekend and picked up the K&N an installed it. That's the easy part. This weekend will be full of activities with the 4th and all. Red Hot Boom baby!!! I will hit the plugs next week!
Old 07-03-2004, 05:11 PM
PCG
Staging Lane

Yeah I really need to do plugs ASAP my car is idling like crap... But everyone is saying its easy until #8 which shouldnt be that bad from under the car.

I guess I will get to use my new set of rhino ramps again :-)
Old 07-03-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like they said..

Don't even bother tryin to get that 8 plug from the top of the car. Get it up in the air, and it'll take 5 min.

I also run a FRAM filter..
Old 07-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
Like they said..

Don't even bother tryin to get that 8 plug from the top of the car. Get it up in the air, and it'll take 5 min.

I also run a FRAM filter..
Yep, on a 2001 #8 should be done from the bottom. Very easy. I bought one of these rachets from Harbor Freight & Tools and it made doing the plugs much easier. They don't have them on their web site, just in their stores. It's called a Sidewinder Speedwrench.

http://groups.msn.com/OldMansWs6/sho...to&PhotoID=100

I have tried a K&n and a Holly Powershot. Both a waste of money. Went back to Fram paper filter.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a holly powershot and u dont ahve to use that shitty gasket k&n has. get some tr55's. i got my number 8 from up top when i couldnt go to work to get it. and use synthetic but if i were u 5/30 would be the kind to use. that is the only recommendation on our motors, there is no temp recommendation in the manuals i have at work. there may be but i havent seen any. we change synthetic and regular in and out every day, all that stuff is is myth in my mind

Search this Thread