Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a new x/y/h-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Looking for a new x/y/h-pipe

I've got the fabulous Grot y-pipe with the ball'n'flange style collectors. It sounds like the driver side cat took a dump and I'm considering replacing the whole y-pipe with something better.

I'm leaning towards dumping the cats so long as it doesn't cause rasp, resonance, or any other noise anomalies inside the car. I had wanted to get a SLP dual/dual. But if I need to replace the y-pipe, I'd like to go with an X-pipe.

Effectively I'm looking for a catback setup with a X-pipe which will be very similar in all operation to the D/D.

Recommendations?
Old 07-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, you had carsounds in there, any specific reason you want to dump them? Imo the more refined noise, less gas smell, and no rasp all outweight the ~10 hp you might gain, but that's just a thought. No cats don't sound great with a y-pipe catback configuration in almost any car.

Anyway, if you decide to go with a x-pipe, you would have to plan for true duals dumped at the axle or out back, that would sound $ perform good even catless but you inherite the little characteristics of TDs...the x-pipe dictates what exhaust you need to run from that juction back.

One budget option you have is to get someone to fabricate a custom-Y pipe to fit your Grotts and catback you already have, and put on or not put on cats at the same time. This would run under $100 most likely and should as consistant as the other setup if you decide to go that direction.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The X pipe with no cats has no rasp at all. I have the pacesetter long tubes with the TSP tds, and its really nice.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

My current catback is stock with a cutout.

I'm leaning towards no cat's just due to cost. If I was to get cat's I suppose I'd want the highest flowing variety, which I think are still the RT 703000's. But $500 for cat's? Hmm...

How long can I get by with a cat in this condition? If I can save up for the RT's, maybe I can have a local shop fab something up for me. Trting to swap out this stock cat-back for a dual/dual, too.

Last edited by JimMueller; 07-05-2004 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:37 PM
dug
Banned

If it were me Id get duals with xpipe and magnaflow mufflers.

Or have a custom ypipe built with a pair of 3" bullets into 3.5" flowmaster collector out a 3.5" cutout.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JimMueller
My current catback is stock with a cutout.

I'm leaning towards no cat's just due to cost. If I was to get cat's I suppose I'd want the highest flowing variety, which I think are still the RT 703000's. But $500 for cat's? Hmm...

How long can I get by with a cat in this condition? If I can save up for the RT's, maybe I can have a local shop fab something up for me. Trting to swap out this stock cat-back for a dual/dual, too.
Well, you would have a hard time convincing me to purchase 500 cats! Seriously though, I believe there was an article at install university where couple students helped flow various cats. Then there was that similar test I found from and old google search, similar flow testing. From those numbers it looked like carsounds were still a few cfm less than RTs, but it would have to be a max effort engine to utilize every last hp imo. Anyway for ~$100 from that ebay company for a pair, carsounds are very tempting. I would be willing to guess it may cost 10 to put those on, and some have reported less peak hp losses. Who would have guessed. :dunno: