Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just installed pacesetters lt's..........questions and comments

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default just installed pacesetters lt's..........questions and comments

whole process took 5hrs. all we did was remove stock parts and install headers, no y-pipe. headers went in easily with no problems, only took two spark plugs out of the driver side to get the header to go in.
i guess these were the updated ones cause they fit like a glove.

ok now for the bad stuff. couldnt torque the bolts on the passenger side, couldnt get the torque wrench to go in at all!! so those bolts are not torqued correctly. had A LOT of problems with the AIR equipment. couldnt get the damm lock washers on the bolts either. drove the car to the muffler shop and had a y-pipe made and installed the exhaust..$50. the pipe bangs a bit in first gear during 1k and 2k rpm. the thing that bothers me the most is that the car pops all of a sudden, and im not talking rasp pop. i have no idea what it could be, i know it DEFINITELY needs a tune, as the car seems to have lost a lot of hp. but i dont know what this popping could be. it doesnt do it with rpm or nothing in sequence, just random.

comments and opinions please................
Old 07-03-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that this isnt the problem but Ill say it anyway just incase. Did you put a new gasket on the air tubes? I know that if they leak that they will cause a ticking or poping sound
Old 07-03-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yup new gaskets.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

some cars respond better than others. Try getting a tune. Should clear you up just fine.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yup took it out today to get washed. man it sucks big time, u can hear the pop real loud. (i dont know if i mentioned it but the pop is out thru the exhaust and it seems to be in the driver side only) all of a sudden it seems to pick up and i can definitely feel the difference than stock, but then it looses it again.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 99 Z responded well to the header install. Only problem for me was that I forgot to put in the EGR to intake gasket back in and I got a Service Engine Soon light. The Y-pipe was a completely different can of worms, but I got that straightned out already.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Did you buy o2 extentions or did you splice into the stock ones? My friend just did a Pacestter LT/Y Pipe install and his car backfired and poped like crazy and we couldn't figure out why. So for the heck of it we swiched his spliced o2 extentions with my thunder racing 12 inch extentions and the popping was gone! His car runs great now. Not sure if you found the problem or not yet but its just an idea.

Nick
Old 07-05-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

have new extensions and simms, so i dont think thats the problem, we double checked everything once we were at the muffler shop and all was good.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Im having the same exact problem. The pop doesnt start to occur after warming up though. Maybe 5-10 minutes of driving. ONLY coming from the drivers side as well. I have no clue what the problem is. I need a tune also...feels like my car lost low end power. Except I have to drive 2 hours for a damn tune. But i suppose its worth it.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone that might know whats going on? Im having the same problem stated in the 1st post.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ~RedLineLs1~
Im having the same exact problem. The pop doesnt start to occur after warming up though. Maybe 5-10 minutes of driving. ONLY coming from the drivers side as well. I have no clue what the problem is. I need a tune also...feels like my car lost low end power. Except I have to drive 2 hours for a damn tune. But i suppose its worth it.

VERY INTERESTING.....at least we know its something that can be fixed since both our cars are doing the exact same thing. if u find anything else, please send me a pm.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

No worries...will do.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Just curious did you guys ever figure out/fix this problem?
Old 10-22-2004, 03:39 AM
11 Second Club

Somebody help this guys out! I also order LT Pacesetter Headers,but i order my Y pipe
from TSP. I am planning on having them installed next week,and i hope there are no problems.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nocturnal SS
Somebody help this guys out! I also order LT Pacesetter Headers,but i order my Y pipe
from TSP. I am planning on having them installed next week,and i hope there are no problems.

Check ur wires... u also could of damaged a plug when installing the headers.. be a tiny hairline crack on the plug and thats all it would need to miss like that...
Old 10-22-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

Just so you guys know this is a thread from July that I revived b/c I was curious how they got it resolved.

Artic you were right the one guy merely had a fouled plug.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:47 AM
TECH Regular

After having headers on two previous cars, i figured i'd chime in on this one. Sounds like you could have either or both an exhaust leak and or burned plug wire. If installed correctly you would not have the problems your experiencing or having such a dramatic negative difference after a header install. You even said in your first post that you could torque the bolts down correctly which leads me to believe you probably have a leak at the top of the headers. If you had to pull two plugs make sure the wires are on correctly and/or not burned. go over your install. I never trust the opinion of others, i use my own eyes so go over your install first.

Quick Reply: just installed pacesetters lt's..........questions and comments