Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prob after header install HEELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Prob after header install HEELP!

I installed my "new version" pacesetters on my '98 formula this weekend. I drove the car with just the headers and cats for an hour or two around town and on the highway for fun with no problems what so ever. Later, that night it started to rain and I took a buddy for a spin around the block. I went through a really big puddle and a couple seconds later, the car almost almost stalled. I checked the codes and got 1/1 and 2/1 oxygen sensor codes.

The next day, I hooked up the passenger side exhaust but couldn't finish both sides without a welder so I drove it with open driver side exhaust.
I checked the codes again and only got a code from o2 1/1

So I figure that the addition of the rest of the exhaust pipe must have helped out the passenger o2 sensor with some back pressure or something. So today, I get the driver side hooked up and I still have the problems with it running fine then crappy, restart the ign., runs fine then crappy.

Ever since then: the car starts up no prob and idles smooth like a champ. As little as 30 seconds later, it'll start having problems idling.
When I drive, it'll go no problem for at least 30 seconds and then it'll bog down and be crappy. If I just flick the key off/on with out stopping the car then it'll be fine for another little while.

I'm getting a high voltage from o2 11

I spliced the o2 wires with but connectors (they're on there good) I spliced them in between the weatherpak connector and the sensor. Is that alright? I'm not getting any errors from o2 2/1

Does the car ignore the o2 sensors for the first 30 seconds?

I'm gonna go disconnect/reconnect the battery and see what happens.
I bought an o2 sensor but I don't wanna use it if I don't need to.

There's a lot of crap here but hopefully someone can help me out!
Old 07-05-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bet when you went thru the puddle, water damaged the o2. And to answer your other question when the engine is first started its in open loop (PCM ignores o2's). You can always swap the drivers/passenger o2 around.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope that's it. I still have one of the after cat o2's I can swap in there.
thanks for the input!
Old 07-06-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kenkaru
I hope that's it. I still have one of the after cat o2's I can swap in there.
thanks for the input!
i think the rear o2s are different than the front, i wouldnt swap them. i think he means to switch drivers side with pass. side and see if the code moves to the other side. you really shoulda bought the o2 extensions.