Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMG+LT's vs. GMMG+stock

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMMG+LT's vs. GMMG+stock

which actually sounds better....like which has a nicer rumble and which has a nicer tone to the redline....with LT's is GMMG raspy or get really high pitched or unrefined like my LM does now wiht stock headers?

if GMMG would get raspy to the redline...what could i do to make it not...(i will urn with cats on the street not a t a track...i will aslo havce an electric cutout..) im just looking at streetability...i want people to drool over the tone...even the true dual guys that say they would not ahve it any other way?

oh yeah and wiht the LT's how would i pass emission....id really like to get FLP LT's and i kno id run the catted Y but how would i keep from failing IL emissions
Old 07-05-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Gmmg at redline with LT awsome!!!!!!!!
With no cats even better but go to jail loud!!!
with Moroso bullet voted best sounding car by SCCA workers at a recent HPDE day.
John
Old 07-05-2004, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

oh and what are merge collectors...could i benefit in sound and performance with them by anychance for waheveer it is that they are?
Old 07-06-2004, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GMMG with LT's = ALOT of Rasp
GMMG with stock manifolds = best sounding catback around!
GMMG with LT's + cats = the only way to go with LT's
Old 07-06-2004, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

02WS6Bird, I'm in Palos Park and I have Kook's with cats and GMMG. We can meet up if you want and you can hear it for yourself. As far as sound quality goes, it's the best I've ever heard. I prefer it over true duals. There is no rasp anywhere in the band. It's just clean and loud with a nice rumble.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

i don't know why everyone says gmmg w/ory and lt's has alot of rasp...the times i've heard it..it sounded good...but then again i have never heard one in person...the ones i have heard with cats sound kind of wierd...but im sure that is just the video
Old 07-06-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by a98ws6
GMMG with LT's = ALOT of Rasp
GMMG with stock manifolds = best sounding catback around!
GMMG with LT's + cats = the only way to go with LT's
I wouldnt say its ALOT of rasp. It has some. Borla w/ LT's and no cats is ALOT. Otherwise, I agree with you.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Launching!

as long as it sounds better than my current setup, which ive read it will sound alot better than it, so ill be more than happy, nothing a bullet in the i-pipe wouldnt cure rasp, but with cats, ive read it will sound awesome.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Again you said the word havent been in one. They do have Rasp with Mid or LT but nothing you cant deal with for the first 3 or 4 wks, after a while it bothers you. My Morso bullet took care of the rasp!! sounds sweet. I just drove past a parking lot full of ricers and they we all looking to see what was going by. Its the one MOD i've done to the car that 200% dont regret one bit and most GMMG owners will tell you. DO IT!!!!!! john
Old 07-07-2004, 12:17 AM
12 Second Club

so GMMG with LT's and cats...sounds better has a nicer rumble and sounds a bit nicer during acceleration or is it better that way wihtout LT's
Old 07-07-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
so GMMG with LT's and cats...sounds better has a nicer rumble and sounds a bit nicer during acceleration
Exactly. I had just the GMMG for about 6 months before I got the Kook's. It sounds much better with the LT's, but you need cats.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

GMMG=fsailry loud very DEEP and throaty tone
LT's+Cats+GMMG=Loud even deeper and throatier tone?
or is it a lil lesws deeper cuz of the air flow from the LT's?
Old 07-07-2004, 09:05 AM
12 Second Club

im wanting it to be as deep as possible ewithou changing anything on the motor really...and since i heard QTP Lt's and the Kooks LT's sound clips they dont sound as deep as some of the Stockers with GMMG do...so mayb ill haveta go check out gettinthere's LS1

but for sure i am going for GMMG

oh one ? as a comparison stock for stock...my LM has a deeper tone then most of the F-body's ive seen around here.....so my question is is GMMG deeper at idle/rev/driving/WOT?
Old 07-07-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can only tell you my experience with the GMMG. Had it on my last LS1 (which was mostly otherwise stock) and now have it on my current LS1 (which only has a little intake stuff done). Also got the chance to hear it on some other guy's LS1 that also had FLP LT headers and highflow cats...

But anyway, on a car with a stock engine and behind stock manifolds, cats, & Y-pipe, the GMMG sounds very good and aggressive. Not quite as loud as a Loudmouth, but louder than most others IMO. At idle, its actually kinda quiet and mellow (Loudmouth is more noticeable). But then again, what stock-cammed LS1 is really noticeable at idle?! After that, it just has a deeper, more refined sound than the Loudmouth. The one thing I love about the GMMG is how deep the tone remains all the way to redline, which is the exact opposite of nearly everything else on the market (especially the Loudmouth).

Now the LS1 I heard with the GMMG and LT headers (FLP's running highflow cats) sounded absolutely amazing! Definitely deeper/louder than my LS1 with just the GMMG. Even though his car still had a stock motor, idle was louder with the headers and the tone at WOT was all muscle with *NO* rasp or high-pitched sounds (just very deep and mean). I still can't get over how great that car sounded.

If you do choose to run offroad pipes with your headers, then yeah, the GMMG will sound raspy in the mid rpms and get higher-pitched/less refined overall. Personally, I think race pipes ruin the sound of it like just about any other aftermarket system due to the "Y" set-up...

Hope that helps,

Mike
Old 07-07-2004, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

I have Kooks LT and GMMG exhaust here are the sound clips from my car :

http://www.ls1sounds.com/GMMG/GMMG_K..._02SSidle.mpeg

http://www.ls1sounds.com/GMMG/GMMG_K...s_02SSrev.mpeg

http://www.ls1sounds.com/GMMG/GMMG_K..._02SSdyno.mpeg
Old 07-07-2004, 09:10 PM
wrencher

I have L/T's ORP & the GMMG, throw a cam in there & know you can really hear it!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gettinthere
02WS6Bird, I'm in Palos Park and I have Kook's with cats and GMMG. We can meet up if you want and you can hear it for yourself. As far as sound quality goes, it's the best I've ever heard. I prefer it over true duals. There is no rasp anywhere in the band. It's just clean and loud with a nice rumble.
gettinthere--
I am planning on buying the GMMG but have yet to hear it in person. I live in the area too and if you don't mind, I would like to hear it.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by czyker13
gettinthere--
I am planning on buying the GMMG but have yet to hear it in person. I live in the area too and if you don't mind, I would like to hear it.

PM'd you back.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:58 AM
12 Second Club

ok so GMMG with LT's and cats will be deeper and throatier than stock with GMMG through the band and at the higher RPMs or will it be a lil higher pitched bcuz of A. loudness and B. air flow increase...if its deeper then ill definitely jump all over it...oh and 35thSS the rasp when you let off the throttle...is that actually rasp fornm thte catback or is that the sound clip....id prefet as little rasp as possible
Old 07-11-2004, 03:35 AM
12 Second Club

anyone? is it deeper all around like at WOT compared to stock headers? or is it jsut that way at idle....is there a merge collector that would deepen it ffor cheap....jsut incase its a lil high pitched....or i shouldnt haveta worry bout it expexially if i go with kooks or QTP (do any headers sound better than others or are they all the same also?)

how easy is the Kooks or QTP instal, any fitment issues going in? how bout ground clearance....whats the best package to buy for either...is it better to get the high flow mergetors wiht QTP or jsut use the ones they give for the $800 headers? im just worried about it not being a deep tone all throughout the band....and id prefer not to get a new Cam for some time yet...Would pacesetter be a better choice or how bout FLP or any other...whats the best headers to go for....the 02 sensors how should i look at those....and on QTP's site they dont have EGR fitment on the 01-02? why is that?