Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone port their stock MAF housing's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone port their stock MAF housing's?

I read the article at www.installuniversity.com and thought i could do it myself. Anyone here do it? is it hard at all? any noticable gains? Money is tight soo anything free i'm willing to do
Old 07-06-2004, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just descreened it? I wouldnt mess around with any of that MAF sensor bullshit to be honest with u. Id rather play it safe than sorry. But thats just me.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't mess with the MAF ends if you have an A4. Even if you have an M6, there are other places to find power. I'm not a fan of screwing around with the MAF.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

haven't heard of any noticable gains from doing this. stocker is good into the 400's. it probably wouldn't yeild enough power and could cause some problems, but tahts usually with A4 cars from what i hear.

Id skip that. port your TB and gain some power and get better throttle response.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slik98z
haven't heard of any noticable gains from doing this. stocker is good into the 400's. it probably wouldn't yeild enough power and could cause some problems, but tahts usually with A4 cars from what i hear.

Id skip that. port your TB and gain some power and get better throttle response.
AGREED!!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I heard about problems with A4 cars after porting and/or descreening the MAF. How true is this? I just descreened mine (MN6 car) and noticed a very slight increase in the range that the LEDs in my Air fuel ratio meter. Not anything alarming though, In fact I think it went back to normal after running a bit lean after the LT install.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine, but got a dyno tune right away. Dont port them if you arent going to get a tune or if you have an A4.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:48 AM
Teching In

just round off the lips and de-screen it. My dad did that to his LT1 vette, Ran perfectly. I dont know about HP gain but i'd expect 1 or 2.

and its fun grinding stuff!
Old 07-06-2004, 07:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kinda like golf. Whack your tune, then trudge
around looking for it and try to get it back in
the hole, all for nothing.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If you're not going to have the car tuned, don't mess with the MAF. Porting/descreening the stock MAF throws the calibration out of whack - more air gets through then is metered.

If you get a tune to correct for it, then there is some worth to freeing up some airflow around the MAF, maybe a few extra ponies, but nothing major.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll start by saying: I ported mine, hogged it way out and mirror polished it. Did it way back before anyone realized it caused problems.

Don't do it.
It does make power, but the risks and headaches are not worth the trouble.
Don't descreen either!
As a matter of fact, that is where alot of the harm stems from. If I could go back and port mine again, I would have ported it with the screen in place!
There are tricks and tips to getting the mod to work and make power... but they are many and cost money.
I got my bugs worked out over time, I have an M6, but it was a headache.
Don't do anything to the MAF on an A4. The MAF readings are used to regulate the tranny line pressure. When the readings are skewed, you damage the tranny.
Fair warning:
Don't bother.
Dave
Old 08-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I did to my maf was I polished the out side because I polished my tb on the outside and I wanted it to match didn't mess with porting anyth ing not worth the risk. But I tell you it took me a long time and I still have to go back and touch up a few spots but for apperance polishing those 2 things looks great, ill try and get some pics up to show you guys
Old 08-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Teching In

I descreened and ported mine. No problems here. Been like that for quite some years now and it still works like a charm.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Facelift
I descreened and ported mine. No problems here. Been like that for quite some years now and it still works like a charm.
It won't cause "problems" if your **** is bolt on's. The more power you make the worse it will get, computer guessing what to do... tuning around a ported or aftermarket (granetilli) MAF is a PITA from what I've been told. Don't port it.

Quick Reply: Anyone port their stock MAF housing's?