Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y-Pipe Banging...Heater Hose???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Y-Pipe Banging...Heater Hose???

I've heard of this heater hose thing if your y-pipe bangs on the floorboard. What do i do, where do I get the heater hose. Someone explain this to a poor old fart.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used about a 2" radiator hose. You cut a short piece, split it, and wrap it around the pipe where it's close to the body. Take a hose clamp and put around the hose so it doesn't fall off.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I did it was to get about 2-3 inches of heater hose, header wrap, and a band clamp. Find the spot where the ypipe is very close to the floorboard. Put the header wrap on the ypipe, then feed the band clamp inside the heater hose and clamp it down on the ypipe. You don't want the heater hose directly touching against the ypipe because it could melt so using header wrap gives it some protection. With this setup you have the rubber heater hose pressing against the header wrap and the floorboard. It is better than getting that banging on hard acceleration, but you may get some extra vibration on the floorboard, but it will lessen over time when the heater hose softens.