Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

y pipe ....true duals

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default y pipe ....true duals

Hey Guys,
Can U Get A Y Pipe Setup With Headers And A Nice Catback To Be As Loud As A True Dual System And To Sound Pretty Much The Same. B/c To Be Honest I Am Just Not Ready To Spend Like Over 1000$ On Duals To Run Out The Back B/c I Wouldn't Want Them Dumped B/c Of The Drone Problem.can This Be Accomplished......if It Can Then Tell Me The Y Pipe And Headers And Catback To Use
Old 07-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you get it to be as loud? Yes. Will it sound as good? Probably not.

The beauty of true duals is that you don't have to worry about rasp if you aren't running cats...if you don't use cats on a y-pipe setup, there is a good chance you will have rasp of some sort. True duals also sound deeper...

As with everything in this world, you will have to compromise. If you want a great sounding y-pipe setup, you will most likely have to run cats (unless you aren't bothered by rasp). If you don't want to use cats, you might look at a Hooker cat-back, as I've heard of many people that are pleased with theirs. Personally, I run Kooks headers, catted-y, into a Hooker, and it sounds very, very good. Quiet at idle and cruise (we're talking "stock quiet"), but hell on earth at WOT.

Please also note that it is not what I'm truly looking for in exhaust sound...this was designed to be a temporary solution to a more or less permanent problem. I want the best sound period. For that reason alone, I will be doing Speed Inc's over-the-axle true dual setup. $$$$? Why yes, yes it is. Sometimes you gotta pay to play...
Old 07-07-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In regards to the rasp of a true dual system, I had a little bit when mine were dumped. About the same amount I have now with the Hooker catback. At first when I put the hooker on, I wasn't to sure if that is what I wanted. After some time, I have started to love the way my hooker sounds.

The catback sounds nothing like the duals I had, but it is also a completely different sound.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Have you ridden in a car with the duals dumped? I have zero problem with the drone as it would cost an extra ~$500 to go out the back. Not worth it IMO. It's not as bad as it was when I had the loudmouth on stock manifolds/cats. As he said, no a Y-pipe setup CAN NOT sound as good as duals IMO. Of course, everyone has their own opinion of what sounds good. You will find that time and time again if you search this forum, true duals are however probably the most highly sought after sound. If you must do a Y-pipe and want a really good sound you will end up being pointed towards the GMMG which costs a ridiculous amount for a cat-back ($700++) if you ask me. It does sounds badass, however, your problem is then trying to justify spending that much on a cat back, as well as a Y-pipe and possibly cats when you could get duals. My last piece of advice also follows HCO2SS, a lot of people who run w/o cats and dont like rasp use the Hooker cat-back and like it.

PS: do a search on the diff mufflers you can use for true duals. Dynomax bullets, sweet thunder chanbered muffs, and flowmaster one chambers are three of the options. Each is diff, with the dynomax bullets being the loudest inside and outside of the car at all RPM levels.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

One of the reason's I got rid of my duals was because of the drone. I have been in 3 different cars with true duals all dumped, and all of them had interior drone. To me, you can't have a conversation or really listen to the radio. Others don't have these complaints. Guess I am just getting old at 25.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

search button. we discuss exhaust alot in these external engine threads...you are bound to find something that will help.

since i took the time to write that, ill help you...im on my 10th exhaust.
running duals out the back, you are looking at atleast a grand, unless you got some major **** sucking skills and can wheel and deal.

dumped duals, the dron ewill depend on the muffler. reguardless of drone they will stillbe loud inside the car but sound sweet as ****, borla mufflers would be your friend there.

if i had it to do again, id have gone with coated pacesetters, hooker ory, hooker catback, which is precisely what im going back to.

Currently i have painted pacesetters, off road x pipe (2.5 inch), 2 bullet mufflers dumped at the axle. sounds ******* wicked. just i put about 50-70 miles on the car a day now (just too damn fun not to drive) but the gas mileage lost with dumps, and the fact that it is louder inside the car is just too much for that amount of driving.

this is exhaust system numero 10 for me. and i keep ending up going back to the hooker catback.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think duals out the back will cost a grand... For me, dumped at the axle, with mufflers and x-pipe cost around $400. They guys said they can run them out the back, under the axle, for another $150.

As for drone and rasp, as long as you get the right mufflers, you wont have any. I had some interior drone with my spiral flows, but now I dont have any with my magnaflows.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

does it really help with drone to have the turndowns pointed outward? and has anyone heard the sweet-chamberd muffs dumped inside the car? how bad are they with drone?