Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about this true dual idea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How about this true dual idea?

It looks like I am going to be forced to run cats on the car so I was thinking of the following (Just tossing the idea around for now)
I have my upper PHR removed

1) 1 3/4 to 1 7/8th headers with 3.5 merge collectors and 3.5 to 3 inch cone reducer
2) Dual carsound 3 inch highflow cats after the reducers
3) 3 inch pipe from cats Into Mandrel X-Pipe
4) On the pass side leave my over the axle 3 inch dynomax intermediate pipe and cut off the muffler. Run that side straight back with 3.5 inch chromed slashed tip
5) On the drivers side run a custom mandrel bent over axle pipe exiting straight back also with a 3.5 inch chromed slashed tip

The cats will act as my mufflers and the Xpipe and duals should sound pretty mean. (No mufflers on the car)

With this setup I wouldn't need cutouts either which is nice

What do you think? I think it would be easy and cheap to do. Be high flowing and emissions legal.

Old 07-08-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

im sure it would sound wicked, i like the idea
Old 07-08-2004, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do realize that technically that is not emissions legal, right? Or were you referring to shorties? With mid/longtubes the cats aren't where they are suppose to be. If you have to pass a visual that could be a problem. Do you only have to pass a sniffer?
emissions
Old 07-08-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
You do realize that technically that is not emissions legal, right? Or were you referring to shorties? With mid/longtubes the cats aren't where they are suppose to be. If you have to pass a visual that could be a problem. Do you only have to pass a sniffer?
emissions
I am not in california. The cats and emissions equipment need to be on the cat but do not need to be in the stock location.

Old 07-08-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

might as well just run straight 3.5 inch pipe all the way back from the headers wit no cats no mufflers.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS_
might as well just run straight 3.5 inch pipe all the way back from the headers wit no cats no mufflers.
uhh, good idea? i think thats a pretty crazy setup you got thought up. if you infact do go through with it, we need pics!
Old 07-08-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

i would use some nice mufflers instead of cats. It will give it more of a tuned sound. IMO the systems if have heard with just cats dont sound too great

my .02

edit: my bad, didnt read the smog part

Last edited by Jamie33; 07-08-2004 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 346 + 14 + 25
I am not in california. The cats and emissions equipment need to be on the cat but do not need to be in the stock location.

Do they just not care that much where you are, unlike the smog nazzis.....err California? I wonder, because it is federal law about the cats not state.......then again I can pass emissions here without AIR/EGR/Cats
Old 07-08-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Do they just not care that much where you are, unlike the smog nazzis.....err California? I wonder, because it is federal law about the cats not state.......then again I can pass emissions here without AIR/EGR/Cats
from what i see, the "visual" seems to be only inforced in Cali
Old 07-08-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

I'd check random tech for this cat because carsound only makes this in 2.5... I know I saw a dual 3" in and out high flow cat that was trick.. Should be able to pull double duty as an x pipe.

See how close your intermediate pipe is to working on the other side too... If so just get an extra and mod it a bit or atleast something to go off of for that side....

Consider this muffler...Magnaflow 12469
Same dimensions as the f-bod muffler but dual 3" straight thru. All the pipes from the right side of your dynomax system should line up.

Muffler pipes when horizontal like the picture.

1----------2
3----------4

Looking at the rear...

Because the dynomax overaxle connects on the right rear muffler tube (4)you will have to shorten the left spout in its straight a way to connect it to the other end of the rear tube on the left.. Move the left spout from 1 to 3 and shorten so it matches the bumper. Now the right side from header has a muffler and tip.. Connect the new 2nd overaxle to the left front tube (1). Your d-max right tip should clamp right on (2) since that has'nt changed.. Left side at the header dual exits the right spout and the right exits left...

The only changes are on the left side of the muffler... Put the tailpipe on the outlet closest to the bumper than connect the new overaxle in front of it...

Look at the dynomax diagram here and it should help.

http://www.dynomax.com/documents/pas...ral_motors.pdf

True duals to fool fools because it looks just like a dynomax system from the rear.

Last edited by V8_DSM_V8again; 07-08-2004 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

plus the guy is in Kinadia, eh.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Launching!

i dont think the mufflers are going to act as cats to well. expecally if he needs to pass some kind of emissions test. i ran just cats on my car for a while and it was more quiet than running no cats and a muffler. it will work good. might not as flow as well, but still will work.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by steelsnow
i dont think the mufflers are going to act as cats to well. expecally if he needs to pass some kind of emissions test. i ran just cats on my car for a while and it was more quiet than running no cats and a muffler. it will work good. might not as flow as well, but still will work.
I'm sugesting a cat with dual/dual on each side and a single body..

Then a muffler the same size as the dynomax he already has that can turn the system into true duals just by triming the left tip he has already and adding the left side dual from the engine.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
I'm sugesting a cat with dual/dual on each side and a single body..

Then a muffler the same size as the dynomax he already has that can turn the system into true duals just by triming the left tip he has already and adding the left side dual from the engine.
ahh, im sorry. i see what you are talking about now. thats a cool idea.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you seen my true-dual @ ARE ?
Why don't you get something like it... it's a 3" true-dual from Lane's.

Quick Reply: How about this true dual idea?