Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over axle duals experts please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over axle duals experts please help!!

Ok my exhaust guy doesn't think that dual 3 inch pipes can be run on my 98 ss. this is what i would like done , dual 3 inch over the axle! This is what i have so far, BMR panhard bar brace, 23 1/2 long dynomax bullets. The BMR brace is not on the car yet but will be installed on friday night. So here's my ?'s 1ST where should the pipe's be run under the car? he say's there's no way dual 3 inch pipes are going to fit in the tunnel so is it safe to put the bullets and pipes under the floorpan or will there not be enough clearance or do you need to bash in the floorpan? BTW the car has been lowered 1 inch!! and has a Sphoon torque arm that bolts to the trans. 2ND will dual 3 inch pipes fit over the axle with the BMR brace alone or do you have to push in the floor? Please help since i am hoping to try to have this done tommorrow and any helpfull hints will help. Thanks Shawn
Old 07-15-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It will fit, do a search on this board and cz28.com, you will find pictures. In particular on the cz28.com, a guy has a 99 firebird with true dual 3 inch pipes from the headers all the way back to 3 inch over the axle (1 pipe on either side) and ot the back.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:29 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3" all the way out over the axel will fit but 2.5" will allow more clearance and support more power then you'll probably throw at it.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
3" all the way out over the axel will fit but 2.5" will allow more clearance and support more power then you'll probably throw at it.
agreed!
Old 07-16-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Save yourself some trouble and find another exhaust guy....a person who says it can't be done isn't someone you want to pay to work on your car.

Dual 3" over the axle can be done, but it is very difficult...dual 2.5" is much easier and will support plenty of power. Maybe a 10 hp difference in high hp applications...500+