Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Catted Y Pipe Owners Here...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question QTP Catted Y Pipe Owners Here...

I got my QTPs with catted y over a month ago, and when i got them i noticed the cats had some space between the actual "shell" of the cat and the pipe running into cat, i thought nothing of it, but after driving it for awhile, and after finally having it in the air for the first time on a lift, ive noticed that gap again and i also notice what sounds like air escaping from the cats from that gap, cause you can hear alot of air leaking out coming from there, alot of hiss, and more than the usual with cats. im gonna have the shop i go to weld the cats solid so that gap is gone, but im just curious as to anyone else have their cats come that way, cause im pretty sure it should have been welded closed all the way and not have a gap on it. if you need me to explain it better, let me know, but i think you will understand if you own the qtps. Thanks for any answers to this.

This gap is on the actual cat itself, not the piping connecting all the pipes.
Attached Thumbnails QTP Catted Y Pipe Owners Here...-cats-pic-2.jpg  

Last edited by STKoRn97; 07-18-2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give me a call on monday. Can ya email me a picture of this if you can. Curious to see this.
Thanks
Old 07-17-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dale had a big problem with the fitment of his catted Ypipe. It hit the tranny crossmember hard and also hung very low. He ended up going custom.

I'll see if I can get him to post over here. Maybe there were a couple of redesigns of either the header or the Ypipe. I am not sure if his were kooks or QTP but there might be some similarities.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Quick Time
Give me a call on monday. Can ya email me a picture of this if you can. Curious to see this.
Thanks
Sent Email with a pic and description, it will be in the shop monday afternoon to be welded up. In the mean time, anyboy else had anything like this on their cats, still looking for any others with this.
I also added a pic of what exactly im talking about, both cats are like that on the top part (side towards the bottom of car) the bottom as you can see is welded from the shop that did the work. As i said, anyone got a comment to what i circled in red, let me know.

Last edited by STKoRn97; 07-18-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike
I saw the pic. It comes like that from magnaflow/carsound. Its the heat sheild. I didnt see any carbon build up so its not leaking there. Call me on monday.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:44 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How was the fitment with the y-pipe in general?

I'm trying to get opinions before ordering myself...
Old 07-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Launching!

i didnt install it myself, but the shop that did said it fit really nice, im just curious whether these y-pipes themselves are causing the hiss cause of them coming in seperate pieces.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

The QTP Catted Y is a nice piece but it's only drawback is that it's longer than most Y pipes cause it uses the Flowmaster merge collector so a little more of your I pipe will have to be cut back for it to fit into place. Also my driver's side header collector pipe was bent in the wrong way for the Y to clear the tranny cross brace so I had to have my muffler guy fab up a new pipe. I live in a small town without much access to a good muffler shop so that's why I went with a premade Y pipe. If I had a good professional exhaust shop close I would have a custom Y made. Even though I have the QTP Catted Y I feel it's not worth the $500 price tag and a good shop could make something better and probably a helluva lot cheaper. My 2 Cents