Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust sound with shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust sound with shorty headers

I have been through most of the columns on shorty headers. I know not to expect more than a 10 horse power gain, and maybe a little more with high flow cats. First question; What kind of sound change could I expect, because I love the LM sound as is. Is 15 to 20 horse power gain a reasonable assumption with the high flow cats an larger diameter Y pipe. I do have a 99 and understand that the stock manafolds dont flow as well as the 00-02 models, which is why I might go with the shorty headers. Don't want the longtubes because of the sound change. Let me know...The sound most important to me and a better look under the car......Let me know...Thanks
Old 07-19-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sound with the shorties would probably stay around the same loudness level.. with the highflow cats you would remain rasp free also..

The sound wouldn't change all that much..
Old 07-19-2004, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure but I don't know about seeing 15-20 horsepower. Again, I am not sure, but I think that if you are THAT worried about the sound you should try and listen to a longtube/cat/LM equipped car. A LOT of people really like the way the loudmouth sounds with cats, that seems to be the rasp killing necessity.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine got a little louder and more throaty. In everday driving you won't notice it, but WOT is great as far as sound and acceleration. I picked up over .2 in the 1/4 mile with my shorty/y-pipe/carsound cat setup. I have the TSP Rumbler exhaust and from what I hear, it is similar to the LM, just with a different muffler. I too have a 99 and don't listen to anyone telling you it's not worth it. It IS. You just won't get AS much gain as you would with LTs, but that obviously is not your priority. Hope this helps, you can PM if you have any other questions.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

My car is really friggin loud with Hooker Shorties/Hot Cam/Flowmaster American Thunder. So loud I don't think I could stand it any louder. If I had longtubes I would go out of my mind for sure.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Ill be installing my LM and LT in about 2 weeks.....ill post up a vid on how loud it sounds

Quick Reply: Exhaust sound with shorty headers