Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals HELP?

allright to start out i just got my 2002 Camaro SS with less then 10000 miles on it. I have had it for about 2 months. I like the look of these true dauls dumped under the axle how do i do what do i kneed to buy and what is a good set up. Thanks
Old 07-20-2004, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Just so you understand if your are is mostly stock you are going to lose a bit of low end torque. I have had my duals on for about a week now. Awesome sounding. I bought a universal 3inch true dual kit with X pipe for 99.95 from JcWhitney. Then I bought 12inch Dynomax Bullets from Jegs for 35 each. But I also have Pacesetter Coated LT. I love the sound. You will scare all the idiot ricers away with that setup.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Just so you know there is a ton of info on this already on this board. Duals have been talked about for the past year heavily. Do a search and you will find more than enough info on this.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:27 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterSS01
Just so you know there is a ton of info on this already on this board. Duals have been talked about for the past year heavily. Do a search and you will find more than enough info on this.
the man speaks truth
Old 07-21-2004, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Beat you to it JRP. Also, check out JRPs exhaust section in his signature. All kinds of great information in that also.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jrp

Originally Posted by PewterSS01

the man speaks truth
i'd look into TSP's new true dual setup, especially if you can't do the welding yourself.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
i'd look into TSP's new true dual setup, especially if you can't do the welding yourself.
Check out the search button or go to TSP's website Texas-speed.com they have a bolt up 3" x-pipe, true dual kit for 420$. there also offering free shipping, for now.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

going with a 2.5" system will reduce the amount of low end torque u lose.....and anyway, u dont lose a whole lot anyway. u definitely pick it up on the mid-high end
Old 07-22-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just do what I'm doing. Start off with a good set of longtube headers (Hookers or Kooks preferably), get some high-flow catalytic converters (to keep the gas fumes from flooding your cabin, to keep it emissions legal, and to smooth out the sound a tiny bit), pick up an x-pipe (in my case a Spintech/Dr. Gas), some mufflers (once again, in my case, Spintech Pro Streets), and you can either end it at that, or get turndowns. Get some piping of take it to a muffler shop and have them use what they got. Just go 2.5", since 3.0" in most cases is overkill and, as stated before, will contribute to a greater loss of low end torque. BTW, the total cost of my setup, including headers is $600.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my set up. I'm running 2.25" pipes because 3" is overkill for a stock car. Unless you plan on heavily modding it.

**EDIT**

Pictures aren't working right. Have to fix it later.

Last edited by Partsguy198; 07-22-2004 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

Look if you are going the header route as well as the duals then you need to make a choice on what you want. Stainless steel or not. If you do stainless headers then you might as well make the whole system that way. If you want cheap but quality then do exactly what I did except do your muffler of choice along with the pipe size of choice. I like that TSP has a dual kit and that now companies are now offering it but I paid less then half the price of TSP dual kit for parts and install. So just keep an open mind at all times. Remember that everything you read on here is mostly subjective and is usually just opinion. LIKE MINE.Ha Ha. So Good luck with your research and choices.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

uhh bull99ls1 where did you get that whole setup for 600 bucks if that includes long tubes?
Old 08-11-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black 98 T/A
uhh bull99ls1 where did you get that whole setup for 600 bucks if that includes long tubes?
No doubt man. I really want true duals, but need to have cats to keep it emissions leagal...and 600 for everything, plus headers....we need more info, pics, etc. Please.

Fry
Old 08-11-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frey51
No doubt man. I really want true duals, but need to have cats to keep it emissions leagal...and 600 for everything, plus headers....we need more info, pics, etc. Please.

Fry
I had it fabbed from parts I bought. I got an X-pipe with two Spintech Pro Street mufflers for $140, skipped the cats altogether, got the reducers for $30, and the piping for about $30. The headers I got (Hooker Super Comps) were $400. Technically I guess I shoudl have said $600 + labor.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

I don't know how this "you'll lose low end torque with true duals on a basically stock car" idea started, but I don't think it's true. Most of this talk is probably secondhand info from a guy who knew a guy who had a theory derived from some other guy who had a hypothesis which was formulated from a joke he heard at the bar.

I'm sure each car reacts a little differently to mods, but here is my personal experience:

I originally installed Kooks LT's with ORY and mated up my Loudmouth exhaust. Talk about losing low end, my car really felt like a turd. I figured the PCM would have to relearn the fuel trims and whatever so I gave it about 2 weeks. Still no noticeable improvement. I just thought I was one of those guys who had a car that reacted poorly to headers. I said screw it and ordered TSPs true dual kit. 1 week later I had this system bolted up, and boy did it really wake the car up. My low end feels just like it did before header install, and also a little stronger up top compared to my ORY/LM setup.

I know I'll get a lot of replies from people saying it's all in my head, but I was able to directly compare two radically different exhaust setups during a short time period where the weather conditions were relatively the same and no other modifications were made. I can tell you for sure that the true duals are the best thing I could have done after my header install short of a full dyno tune. This is just one mans' experience, so take it with a grain of salt. It's also an instance where somebody was able to dissprove the "loss of low end" theory.

Now I'd like to see somebody throw a sweet chamber muffler with 2.5" inner baffle into their i-pipe and see if it is really as big a restriction as everyone says it SHOULD be.